Deck Officer Jobs on cruise ships
The deck hands consist of all the officers who can ran the ship and manages the overall operations involved in navigating the ship. The job are briefly described below in descending order of importance.
- Captain The Captain is responsible for the whole operation of the ship. For this position the incumbent will need to have the required certification by the appropriate maritime government; he/she should have a diploma from an accredited Maritime School, at least 5-8 years experience in similar or sub-ordinate positions on ship(s) and should be able to use state-of-the-art computerized navigational equipment. He/she should have an excellent command over English. The salary earmarked for this position is between US -9800.
- Staff Captain This position is the second in common on the ship and is-change of assisting the Captain in running the ship smoothly. The pre-requisites for this job are the same as that of the Captains. The salary earmarked for the post of Staff Captain is usually in the range of US and 7800.
- First Officer This position is given to a navigation officer who would be entitled with the responsibility of overseeing the bridge operations. The incumbent should have the required Maritime certification from a recognized body as well as posses a Diploma from an accredited Maritime School. The experience of such an applicant should not be less than 3 years. He/she should also have an excellent command over English. The salary for this job is between US -4300 per month. The candidate in this position can be promoted to Staff Captain.
- Second officer the applicant will need to look after the navigation duties and coordinate the junior staff on their jobs. He/she would need to have a Diploma from an accredited Maritime Training School, be fluent in English and trained to use sophisticate and up-to-date computerized navigational equipment. He/she should have an experience of minimum of two years. The salary would be in the range of US and 3100. He/she can be promoted to the post of Third Officer within 2-3 years time.
- Junior Third Officer the applicant would be in training for all the duties that a third officer should be doing. The requirements of this job are the same as that of the Third Officer with the exception of the experience. Once the applicant has the required experience, he/she can be considered for the position of the Third Officer. He/she should be highly fluent in English. The salary earmarked for this position will be between US and 2200.
- Chief Radio Officer the incumbent will be responsible of all the communication operation on a ship. He/she has to be qualified with a Diploma from an accredited Maritime school in the required field, have extensive one-two years of experience and be able to supervise, run, and repair the communication equipment (satellite hook-ups, Marisat communications, telegraph, and so on). Needless to say, the incumbent would have to have an excellent command on English. The salary range for this job is between US-3100.
- Radio Officer the incumbent will be responsible for all the communication operations between his/her sip and other ships. He should be skilled in using fax machines, radio communication, Marisat communications and other similar duties. He would deliver his duties under the direct supervision of the Radio Officer. For this position the applicant should have a minimum of one year experience aboard a ship and possess a Diploma from an accredited Maritime School. He should have an excellent command on English. The salary range for this job is between US -2500.
- Security Officer this person will be responsible for all the security of the ship. He/she should be having adequate experience in handling and disarming firearms. The applicants who have some military background would be preferred. A good command on English would be required. The salary earmarked for this job is between US and 2500.
- Security personnel This job is to be delivered under the direct supervision of the Security Officer; he/she would be required to have sufficient experience in handling firearms; some military background and have good command over English. The salry earmarked for this job is between US -1800.
- Safety officer this person will be responsible for conducting, organizing and choreographing the safety drills for passengers and the crew. In case of any emergency, this person would be in charge of all the operations related to the abandonment of the ship. He/she would need to have a good deal of experience (min 2-3 years) in this line as well as a Diploma from an accredited Maritime School. A good command on English is required as well. The salary ranges between US -3100.
- Bosun he/she will be responsible in all the operations that the Safety Officer outlines for the safety of the ship. He will be required to have one-two years experience aboard the ship, have a Captains license and have excellent command over English.
- Carpenter as the name indicates, this incumbent would be responsible for all the carpentry work on the ship. This is a entry level position; you will need to have some 1-2 years experience in carpentry; and basic knowledge of English. The salary ranges between US and 1900.
- Seaman he will be responsible for keeping the deck clean and the general maintenance of the ship. This is an entry level position which required little or not knowledge of English. The salary earmarked for this is between US and 1700.
- Desk Attendant this person will be required to bring and remove from the deck the lounge chairs. Little or no knowledge of English will be needed. The salary for this job is between US and 1200.