House keeping jobs on cruise ships
The Housekeeping Department is responsible for ensuring that the cabins, rooms, and related services are carried out smoothly to the satisfaction of the passengers. The Housekeeping on the ships is the same as in any five/seven star hotels on land. The department is divided into two main divisions, (i) one division looks after the comfort of he passengers in their rooms and cabins, and (ii) the other looks after the cleaning of the general areas of the ship. The laundry section supports both these divisions and functions 24x7.
The housekeeping department is usually staffed by concessionaire companies or specially appointed agencies who interview people from the world over. As a rule of the thumb, the English ships will prefer European staff and American and other ships will prefer to recruit staff from third world countries. The staff of the Housekeeping Department are also known as the Accommodation Staff.
Below you will find a brief description of each position in the Housekeeping Department, in descending order of importance and salary.
- Chief Housekeeper the role of the Chief Housekeeper is to oversee that the Housekeeping staff perform their duties according to the utmost satisfaction of the passengers. The services that fall under the purview of the Chief Housekeeper are, passenger baggage management, cabin services, bell services, room services, etc. The incumbent should possess a degree in Hotel Management and be very fluent in English. The monthly salary ranges between US and 3800 plus gratuities and tips.
- Assistant Chief Housekeeper this person would be responsible for the day-to-day administration of the Housekeeping staff. The incumbent would be required to have 1-2 years experience in hotel line in similar capacity and be fluent in English. The salary will be in the range of US and 3000. The person can be promoted to the post of Chief Housekeeper within one or two years.
- Floor supervisor this person would be expected to supervise the operations of a floor of cabins with the help of a battery of cabin stewards. He/she would report to the Chief Housekeeper. The incumbent would be required to have experience of at least one year in a five star hotel or a ship. This position can be promoted to the Asst. Chief Housekeeper. The salary for this job ranges between US -3200 per month.
- Head room steward/ stewardess this job entails the cleaning, maintaining and supervising of the passenger cabins as directed by the Floor Supervisor. The applicant will need to have some prior experience in hotel line or ships and good command over English. Salary ranges between US -2800. The incumbent can hope for a promotion to the Floor Supervisor post within two years.
- Cabin Steward/ Stewardess/ Cabin Attendant: For this position the applicant need not have any previous experience (though if it is there it will be an advantage) and basic knowledge of English. The salary for this job ranges between US and 2200 plus tips; the incumbent can be considered for promotion to the post of Head Steward(ess).
- Assistant Cabin Steward/ Stewardess the person would have to clean on daily basis the passengers rooms. This is an entry level position and hence does not require any experience. The salary ranges between US -1500 per month plus tips. The position can be promoted to the Cabin steward(ess).
- Bell Captain the role of this person is to specifically supervise the different types of deliveries such as gifts, flowers, food, etc. This is en entry level position which requires some experience and basic knowledge of English. Salary for this job ranges between US and 1300, plus tips.
- Room service Attendant/ Bellboy (both gents and ladies): This is basically a waiting-on position whereby the incumbent is required to take care of room service orders and requests. The applicant will need to have some previous experience in hotel/ restaurant line, have medium knowledge of English and have a pleasing personality. The salary for this job ranges between US and 1000 depending on gratuities.
- Cleaner/ Utility cleaner: The people joining in this position have the responsibility of cleaning the public areas on the ship. This is an entry level position and does not require any previous experience, not any particular command on English. The monthly salary for this job is between US -800.
- Laundry Supervisor the person would be responsible for supervising all the laundry & dry cleaning operations of the garments of the passengers. The applicant will need to have some experience in hotel line and some basic English language. The salary range is between US -1300.
- Assistant Laundry Supervisor the role of the incumbent is to supervise and manage the operation of laundry and dry cleaning under the direct orders from the Laundry supervisor. The applicant will need to have some basic knowledge of English and at least 6 months experience in similar positions on land or ship. The salary range is between US and 1200; the person can be eligible for promotion to Laundry Supervisor within 1-2 years.
- Laundry man/ Linen Keeper this position is entry level and it requires no experience. The person will be responsible for cleaning the passengers, officers, and staff garments. The applicant will need to have some basic knowledge of English. The salary range is US -900 and it is eligible for promotion within one year.
- Pool Attendant - This too is an entry level position where no experience is required. The salary ranges between US and 900 per month; the applicant will need to have some basic English language knowledge.