How can one get to work in the Oil and Gas Domains (compulsory requirements)?
The Oil and Gas Industry is a vast domain, so if you haven't worked before in this field of activity, it is hard to know what are the main requirements for an employee. This industry is more than dealing with gas stations or drilling rigs, it is a domain that provides positions for almost any kind of professionals.
You will see that in the Oil industry, there are positions available for cooks, biologists, computer programmers or engineers, and you can even find jobs where no previous experience is required. Before applying for a job in the Oil and Gas Industry you should take in consideration the following compulsory requirements:
- First of all, you need an overall good physical condition that will allow you to be able to lift at least 50 lbs. on a daily basis. Therefore, if you have back problems or other affections that don't allow you to do strenuous activities, than this is not a work field for you.
- Other affections that would make it dangerous for you to operate with machines will also remove you from the applicants for a job in the oil industry.
- No drugs! Many of the companies will ask for a drug and alcohol screening before the employment, so it is recommended to be free of any drugs if you want to work in this industry.
- Usually, the employees must have at least 18 years old.
- You must be prepared to work hard, on difficult weather conditions and long work schedules.
- For all the positions available in the oil domain courses like WHMIS (Workplace Hazardous Materials System Information) or H2S Alive (Hydrogen Sulphide Alive) are essential for obtaining the job.
- Some companies, depending on their activity, might require you to have safety tickets (for example, the rigs companies require a course in fall protection).
- Additional qualities that can get you a job in the Oil Industry are: team work abilities, consciousness on safety issues, mechanical inclinations.
Here are few tips that you can use when hunting for a job in the Oil and Gas Industry:
- You can take the training courses on any training facility in your city. If you want to take the First Aid course, any Red Cross location will be a good place to start.
- The seismic exploration field is where plenty of available positions any time of the year are, and they will provide you all the necessary training courses.
- Make sure you have the proper clothing one you get the job, because the weather on the oil platforms can be harsh when you have to spend more than 14 hours for outdoor activities.
- Most of the jobs in the oil field are not stable, and you can be noticed any time that it has been a shortage of work. Therefore, choose overseas rigs because they function all year and they can assure more work stability. The disadvantage is that you need to have experience to find a position there. We advise you to look for a catering job on overseas rigs. There are many positions available and they require no experience.
When looking for a job in the Oil and Gas Industry, it is less possible to get it without any training courses in your resume or previous experience in the field. The good thing is that you don't necessarily have to have qualifications in the oil industry, but in any other field of activity that operates in this complex domain.