How to Become a Claims Adjuster

A Claims Adjuster (CA) could be a suitable career choice for you if you like studying the effects of accidents or natural disasters. If you think you would enjoy estimating value and damage of someone else’s property, then this is a good career choice. Many CAs work inside an insurance company. They study property damage that occurred because of an accident. They discuss payment options and try to agree on a final figure with policyholders. CAs are dictated to work on the behalf of their employer but their main responsibility is to establish an equitable agreement for all injured parties. The U.S. Department of Labor gauges that the amount of CAs needed in the next 5 to 10 years will increase.

The first thing you will need to decide is to pick which category of CA you prefer. Staff adjusters focus on working with an insurance company while independent adjusters are more like freelancers. In essence, you will need to decide whether you want to be on a team or if you have an independent mentality. Public adjusters work for the policyholders.

Process of Becoming a Claims Adjuster

A college degree is required to become an adjuster. A business degree or another closely related subject is preferable, but a sociology major is qualified as well. You will also need to have advanced computer skills. For example, both typing and emailing abilities are essential. Documents have to be created and information needs to be organized. This can all be done with special computer software so you should become familiar with it.

New business technology allows more claims to be filed at the same amount of time. This propels more business and incites greater income for everyone involved. It also satisfies the policyholder who is usually hoping for the quickest outcome because most policyholders only contact an insurance company for emergency situations. For example, a holder can be sitting with a damaged roof because a tree branch fell through the ceiling.

Some states dictate a certification is necessary in order to become a CA. You should research your individual state requirements. Usually, your state’s department of insurance is the authority over adjusters. They will have the information that is needed here and can help you through the process.

Once your certification is granted, you will need to apply and be hired by an organization that employs CAs. There is an associate that can facilitate this obstacle. They are the National Association of Independent Insurance Adjusters (NAIIA). They work specifically with independent adjusters but this is a rational starting point. They have a list of position openings and can help you find employers and have all other documents in order.