Job Search for people with disabilities
Disability Benefit payments
Incapacity Aid If you receive payment that allows you to do certain types of work, then you are not entitled to receive additional wages or income related payment benefits such as housing subsidy or income supplement support, unless you declare this. The benefits officer will evaluate your case and decide on a decrease or increase of your benefits according to the merits of your case.
Getting new skillsIf you gain additional skills, it will make your job search easier since you will become more eligible for certain types of work. The Learning Council in the UK assists people with training and guidance. People who live in other countries can contact their Department of Manpower for assistance.
Should you disclose your disability in your job application?
Although employers around the world are bound by laws not to discriminate against people with disabilities, most employers are positive towards disabled persons without consideration of the laws.
You can easily identify employers who are positive towards people with disabilities by the following :
- If they have the symbol on their advertisement or place of employment for disabled people.
- Many employers state in their job advertisements that they are equal opportunity employers.
Job search places for people with disabilitiesWhen you do a job search you are more likely to find the right kind of employer by looking out for the following :
- Did the employer advertise in several formats, for instance, used large print and radio?
- Where is the advert placed? Employers who place adverts at disability centers do so because they know that people with disabilities may find the advert while they conduct their job search.
- Is the application form also available on tape, video, or in large print?
- Can you submit the application form in several ways?
- Does the employer ask whether workspace adjustments needs to made to accommodate you?
Volunteer for workWhile you conduct the job search, you may consider doing some volunteer work or getting job experience. Many churches and community centers welcome the assistance from people with disabilities. Apart from providing a service to the community, you also obtain experience; build new skills, and contacts that may help you get a job.