What is the average starting tax preparer salary?
Tax preparer salaries vary widely. Many jobs are seasonal and pay seasonal rates. Pay scales for tax preparers reflect differences among individuals' qualifications and specific roles. The types of work also affects pay scales. For example, an auditor or CPA will receive higher rates of pay in her professional bandwidths than a basic accountancy graduate doing non-specialized work. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, in 2008, these figures applied to tax preparers:
- Starting salaries were about $8 per hour.
- The mean hourly wage was $17.30 per hour.
- The highest hourly wage was $30.90 per hour.
- The average salary was $36,060 per year.
- The top average salary was $64,270 per year.
Management and senior positions may attract salaries of up to $195,000 per year.