How can your manager influence your job promotion ?
- Forget about one and you'll loose both.
- Expectation. That is what your boss is all about. Give him what he expects and your promotion will come closer.What does your boss want ?
- Some managers know exactly what they need. That is easy.
- Other managers know what needs to be done but don't know how to do it.
- Does your manager like direct (face to face) or indirect (email) communication? Find out and act on it.
- Is it worth going over the boss' head?
- What will you gain by outdoing your boss?
- What will you gain by exploiting your manager's weak points?
- What is books is your boss reading? Communication
- Updates: Frequent or No
- Reports: What kind of delivery
- Does he take on board personal issues?
- How is work given? Clear instructions?
- Short deadlines?
- Tight deadlines?
- Working hours: what is expected?
About the boss
- What are his least favourite tasks?
- How do you gain your manager's trust?
The above will help you understand your manager. This will have a direct impact on your promotion possibilities.
- Does your boss communicate as a manager or a colleague?
- How does the boss look at you?
- As a thorn in the side or an asset to the project?
- Are you more knowledgeable than him? Do you boast of this fact?
(Your manager should never see you as a threat to his position.)
- What are the boss' weak points? Do you expose them?
- Protect your boss and he will hopefully protect you!
- Your manager's top priority is his own career.
- What skills is your manager most proficient in?
- Do you expose your manager's mistakes? - You should not.