Tips when starting a New Job
Knowledge to your advantage?
- Ensure you know sufficient about computers. If you do not know anything about computers, now is the time when you should start learning. Computers will touch, if not already, your area of work whatever it maybe. You should be able to have a basic knowledge about it as not only it speeds things up, it also increases your efficiency
- Always stay informed about what skills are required and where to get help for it
- Internet is an invaluable and extremely versatile tool. Learn to use the Internet and you will get the answers of more 75 percent of your problems or queries
- Sharpen your mind by continuously reading, and upgrading your skills. You need not only study in the line you are working. You could pursue some other interests, like learning a new language, learning to program a computer, learning yoga, and so on. Make sure that you have something new on your plate every six months
- Look for ways to apply your past training and experience to the present job. Whatever skills you have, will improve as they are applied and used.
- Share your knowledge freely with your team members. There is nothing more destructive than holding any knowledge as 'secret'. Develop a healthy give-and-take culture in terms of know-how and expertise.
- Be open to learn. Never turn away anyone who wants to show you a 'better' way. That very thing might open great avenues for you.
- Be humble about what you know. If you come across as a know-it-all, you will never be able to grow professionally.
- Look out for ways to learn new things. Be among the first people to enlist in in-house training programs that the organization organizes for its employees.
- Be organized. People who are organized can improve their efficiency by as much as 50 percent.