+ Reply to Thread

Need advice choosing a career

Hey so I'm a junior in highschool and I have litterally no idea what I want to major in or do for a job as an adult. I feel like I just kind of have a really narrow perspective on jobs and just know like basic stereotypes and not what jobs actually do, so I'm lost. So I was thinking I could tell you about myself and maybe you could help me.

I'm a people person, I love talking to people. I'm really funny and my favorite thing to do is make people laugh. I also enjoy arguing, and I'm really persistent when I do it. I'm a good problem solver. I can think really well on my feet and improvise when needed. I work super well under pressure, probably better than without and I handle stress well. I'm really into healthy lifestyle stuff, like diet and exercise, etc. I enjoy cooking and fitness related activities. I'm very good at math and science, but my job doesn't necessarily have to be centered around it.

I don't really like doing deep analytical reading, such as analyzing documents; I'm more of a quick big idea person. I'm pretty computer savvy, but working on a computer all day would be really boring for me, I prefer to move around and interact with people. I'm not really a huge animal person, but I'm actually pretty interested in how the human body works.

I want to get a job that let's me interact with a lot of people consistently. I work well in teams and in small groups, but I also work well on my own, just in kind of a different way. My main concern is I want a job that keeps me busy and avoids dullness, without being overly obnoxious and getting in the way of my life outside of work.

I'll gladly answer any questions you guys have! Thanks for reading!

Junior Member Junior Member
    Reading your qualities i feel counseling job can be best suitable for you. You will also enjoy doing it as you love to talk with people and seeing your problem solving qualities i think you can also be successful in convincing people and would have great career.

Perhaps you should try...

our Career Exploration platform... CareerThesaurus.com
    It was designed specifically for younger audience such as your self.

Definitely counseling! Although you can search online for some career test if you're not sure. They're not 100% reliable but they'll help you create a better image of what qualifications you have and what kind of job would suit you the best.

You should perhaps go for a job which needs the involvement of your innovation skills. I have been through this dilemma myself when I completed my grad school. In my opinion, being a computer savvy person you should keep your options open for career in a digital marketing field. This industry has a bright future and requires innovative and dynamic talent to work for. Digital marketing is basically a very vast discipline but as a fresher it would be better if you move forward with a specialization in particular area. I have been in this industry since last 3 years and earned expertise in analytics, content, search, social media, mobile and other types of marketing. Continuous learning and research is the only key for success in this industry, it comes to me from DPFOC (won’t miss to say it’s a great company). Also to take your expertise to the next level, consider doing some certifications in Digital Marketing (they are all free). In short Digital Marketing is so much evolving and changing that it will keep you alive!!

Senior Member Expert bburkeconsulting's Avatar
    Man, It sounds like you have an aptitude in a number of areas, so you're starting from a solid position!

I was going to initially suggest law, because I heard: communication, high-stakes/high-pressure, persistent, problem-solver, arguing.... But then you said you don't enjoy deep analysis.... that may kind of kill things!

I would say this; a JD is very versatile, and would add value in a number of careers. You would likely hate your law school, but after completion there would be a whole new world to open for you -- of which deep analysis of documents may only be a minor part.

The difficulty I'm having here is that any white collar position that would allow you to have a real level of success (that is a non-technical position) will require analysis at some level.

Perhaps the technical realm is the way to go?
    There will always be opportunities for engineers, and you're considered a "professional" with an undergraduate degree; whereas in the arts you're frequently considered a "professional" when you've earned a doctorate. This may minimize your education requirement while putting you in a solid income potential position with security.

I would say this: you won't do yourself any favors by pursuing a non-technical major (because you aren't sure what you want to do). You will likely wind up with a little more difficulty in managing your career when you find out what it is that you want to do.

See if you can take internships during your initial few years in college (general studies years) to determine where your true interests lie, and position your degree/major courses in your final two years around the information gleaned.

Lastly, good luck. This is not an easy road, but with your multiple aptitudes, I'm sure you'll find something you're well suited for!

Choosing a Career

I agree, the description of yourself paints a picture of someone with a warm, welcoming personality, which would translate well into a career in counseling. Have you considered a career in social work? Social work can be a very rewarding career, especially for someone who takes pride in help other. Do some research, talk to professional across many different fields. Check out this blog post, if a career in social work sounds interesting to you.

Senior Member Expert
    Based on your skills and interests, you can become a comedian, joke writer, actor, fitness trainer, etc.
    Todd can teach you a lot about how to get a job and get more out of your career.

Quote Originally Posted by cltsax13 View Post
    Hey so I'm a junior in highschool and I have litterally no idea what I want to major in or do for a job as an adult. I feel like I just kind of have a really narrow perspective on jobs and just know like basic stereotypes and not what jobs actually do, so I'm lost. So I was thinking I could tell you about myself and maybe you could help me.

I'm a people person, I love talking to people. I'm really funny and my favorite thing to do is make people laugh. I also enjoy arguing, and I'm really persistent when I do it. I'm a good problem solver. I can think really well on my feet and improvise when needed. I work super well under pressure, probably better than without and I handle stress well. I'm really into healthy lifestyle stuff, like diet and exercise, etc. I enjoy cooking and fitness related activities. I'm very good at math and science, but my job doesn't necessarily have to be centered around it.

I don't really like doing deep analytical reading, such as analyzing documents; I'm more of a quick big idea person. I'm pretty computer savvy, but working on a computer all day would be really boring for me, I prefer to move around and interact with people. I'm not really a huge animal person, but I'm actually pretty interested in how the human body works.

I want to get a job that let's me interact with a lot of people consistently. I work well in teams and in small groups, but I also work well on my own, just in kind of a different way. My main concern is I want a job that keeps me busy and avoids dullness, without being overly obnoxious and getting in the way of my life outside of work.

I'll gladly answer any questions you guys have! Thanks for reading!

If your interest lies in interacting with people then I think a career in sales might be suitable for you. Sales is definitely not boring. It's a career which is filled with excitement and has lots of opportunities around. You can even earn a lot if you are good at communicating and persuading people.

You need to analyse your strengths and weaknesses more often for a better understanding of your self. This will help you get a job of your liking. Try to Understand what is your passion in life. Try to make a career out of that. I suggest you visit a good career and personal branding website like www.rockon.me for more insight into such job options.

Hi Friend,
    Choosing a good carrier may be very difficult. I think, Studying abroad may well change the lifestyle you see various sorts of things which youíd previously underestimated. By studying abroad, you will experience a brand-new nation with staggering new outlooks, traditions What's more exercises. The profits of design studies abroad incorporate the chance on see new terrains, natural wonders, museums and landmarks from claiming your host country. In my opinion, the Maitri Global Education is a unique solution for all kinds of design and management studies. Please check the site and you can get everything as you need.

Senior Member Expert

Tips For Choosing Your Career Wisely

1) Donít get dominated:

Most of the people of the same age group requires this topic. It can be seen that teenagers of the same age communicate about certain careers and the ones they would like to pursue after their studies. If someone is not aware or confused about the line they want to choose then they get dominated with the act and presence of others. They need to realize they are immature at that age and should make the career decisions quickly.

2) Have lots of options:

It is good to have lots of options rather than just focusing on one. So here donít simply just focus on one career rather have broader prospectives and career choices which suits them. Therefore by having this the person can have adaptability in changing their jobs. Just have career options that are linked with one another.
    Read more at: choosing your career wisely

13. This ad will disappear if you login