+ Reply to Thread

CV advice for a former female nude model

I am currently applying for several jobs but I have a "dark past". The problem is I used to model nude for photographers during my college years.

I studied Hospitality in college but unfortunately I did not manage to complete it. Now I am applying for for junior management jobs but I am not getting many replies as my CV is practically empty. I only listed down some leadership positions I had in school. So far I had only one interview with a recruiter but she said it didn't help that I did not finish college nor had a proper job.

The thing is I actually gained a lot of management and various soft skills during my modelling stint. I was part of a team that conducted nude photography workshops in which I was not only one of the regular models but also an essential part of the organizing team. I managed studio bookings, caterers, sometimes the accounts, and regularly conducted teaching sessions. So I have a lot of exposure to public speaking and have good presentation, coaching and management skills.

The problem is putting these on paper. These are obviously advantages I should list down in my CV.
    But how I should I disguise the details of this job while emphasizing my strengths evident from this job? I organized more than a dozen of these classes.

If I list down my previous employer, I am afraid the recruiter will google their website and discover the true nature of my previous job as there a numerous photographs of me on their website portfolios.

The important thing for me is to score interviews, and oh, avoid future sexual harassment too.

Appreciate your advice. Thanks in advance!

Senior Member Expert bburkeconsulting's Avatar
    if you're not getting any bites without the info, then you have nothing to lose.
    you could put all of your admin/managerial type responsibilities and conveniently leave off the fact that you modeled.
    if you are a manager/administrator - you can take your experiences and skills and they should transfer to many other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by bburkeconsulting View Post
    if you're not getting any bites without the info, then you have nothing to lose.
    you could put all of your admin/managerial type responsibilities and conveniently leave off the fact that you modeled.
    if you are a manager/administrator - you can take your experiences and skills and they should transfer to many other positions.
    Thanks for the reply.

I can't think of a way to leave out the name of my previous employer. Can I provide a generic name such as "XYZ Photography" or something like that? Will the recruiters verify my employers at this point of time. What I read from the internet was that they usually call your references during the salary negotiation stage. Recruiters usually don't do a background check this early.

-Should I provide my apartment address in my CV? I see most examples displaying addresses. I don't feel comfortable doing so,

-Do I need to list my previous employers contact info? Or references provided upon request

where are you located?
    I'm in the US.
    I know there are some UK folks here.
    I can't speak to anything UK, but can offer US Advice.

where are you located?
    I'm in the US.
    I am from WY but currently based in CA. Thanks

where are you located?
    I'm in the US.
    San Francisco

Here is a question - did they do any spin-offs, or other ventures or partnerships?

If they did a partnership, you could potentially name that...
    Instead of XYZ photography, you could say XYZ-ABC Photographic Partnership // or XYZ-ABC Art Parnership
    something creative that draws attention away from the exact name. It's hard to say without discussing and knowing more.

What is the legal name of the company? Frequently companies have differing legal names than their "doing business as" names (DBA) -- that's another way you could still be correct but control the perception.

I will say this -- people don't verify past employment nearly as much as they would have you believe (unless you're applying for a position that deals with national security, money, physical security, etc). So consider that point.
    If taking liberties with the title gets you 2 interviews/offers and only 50% of the companies check, you're still good.

If you want to PM me the company name, i may have more ideas and I'll respond> Difficult without knowing more.

Here is a question - did they do any spin-offs, or other ventures or partnerships?

If they did a partnership, you could potentially name that...
    Instead of XYZ photography, you could say XYZ-ABC Photographic Partnership // or XYZ-ABC Art Parnership
    something creative that draws attention away from the exact name. It's hard to say without discussing and knowing more.

What is the legal name of the company? Frequently companies have differing legal names than their "doing business as" names (DBA) -- that's another way you could still be correct but control the perception.

I will say this -- people don't verify past employment nearly as much as they would have you believe (unless you're applying for a position that deals with national security, money, physical security, etc). So consider that point.
    If taking liberties with the title gets you 2 interviews/offers and only 50% of the companies check, you're still good.

If you want to PM me the company name, i may have more ideas and I'll respond> Difficult without knowing more.
    I am not aware of any partnerships. I will try to find out. Actually my employer was this guy who conducted photography classes in his free time and has a website promoting himself. Most of his team were part time hires. A really small business. His website says "His-name... Fine Art Nude Photography".

I am not sure of its legally registered name, but I was the one who helped to apply for the photography permit a few years back when we organized a workshop in a national park, and there wasn't any. However I heard from some friends that he ran into trouble with the IRS recently so he had to register his business. Not sure what it's called. His website still displays the old name. Probably that

Hi can anyone tell me whether it is mandatory to include my address in my CV? Shouldn't an email and phone number be sufficient? Thanks

In the US, conventional resume logic says use it... but i challenge any and all conventional logic.
    City/State is fine if you even put it at all.
    I think address adds zero value -- it can't help.... it can only hurt if someone decides "this candidate lives too far to make this commute" -- etc....

11. This ad will disappear if you login