+ Reply to Thread

Question Need advice on how to move ahead in my career..

hi friends,

Here's a post from someone who's stuck in career growth. I am confused about my career options and need your two cents on the same.

Background :

1. Comp Sci Graduate. Initial career of 9 years in Unix domain. Worked in good software companies. Worked in bugfixing, some development and development side support by fixing customer issues.

2. Have a flair for writing and done a couple of courses in technical writing and business communication. This was with an intention to shift to technical writing / documentation team at some point of time.
    This shifting of careers has never happened as, everywhere I was told that I will have to start as a fresher. And, the prospect of annulling a good experience of 9 years for a fresher's salary was intimidating.

3. Have tried a freelancing site as a technology /content writer since 3 months now, but no success so far. Seems to be a long wait.

Confusions and Questions.

1. I am tired of being a developer and bugfixer all my life. I want to take a shift to non-development or if need be even something on the non-technical side. The product companies I worked for had a slow growth in terms of management positions and many people were individual contributors even at 15 years of work experience.
    What are my options ?

2. On researching a bit came up with a few avenues.. Need your insights on them wrt following 2 points :
    ==> will my experience count towards them or will it be a matter right from scratch
    ==> AND do i need to do any course before I begin

a. Business Analyst
    b. Project Co-coordinator
    c. Documentation developer
    d. Recruiter
    e. Admin
    f. Customer Support in some non technical domain

Please comment on the possibilities mentioned in point 2 and suggest a few more options that you can think of.

Thanks in advance
    AJobAspirant

Member Senior Member
    Hi there, I would recommend you to do customer support but it really depends on how comfortable you feel in dealing with people. If you feel like you can easily deal with people and help them the you don't need to take any course to begin. Now days, most companies will want to see how you can talk to people on the phones so if you can show them that you can do that, you will be easily hired without having to show any form of former education diplomas. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AJobAspirant View Post

2. On researching a bit came up with a few avenues.. Need your insights on them wrt following 2 points :
    ==> will my experience count towards them or will it be a matter right from scratch
    ==> AND do i need to do any course before I begin

a. Business Analyst
    b. Project Co-coordinator
    c. Documentation developer
    d. Recruiter
    e. Admin
    f. Customer Support in some non technical domain
    Hi, I started off as a developer and progressed through to business analysis and now a regional product manager, so the skills that development give you certainly transfer well to BA and project based work. Given that you have a flair for writing, I imagine your verbal communication is pretty good too and therefore business analysis sounds like the way to go.

To go to a BA role, you don't necessarily need to do a course, it really depends on the firm. I've been a BA hiring manager previously and I do look at profiles with developer backgrounds because in my firm, systems analysis is a required skill.

I think if you look at the average salaries of BAs compared to technical support, recruitment and admin and even project co-ordination, there's certainly greater growth potential.

thanks
    Mike
    www.linkedin.com/in/michaeltdang

4. This ad will disappear if you login