+ Reply to Thread

Management offers no respect

I have an interesting dynamic at my organization, where the higher ups (director, VP) don't actually have any experience in the marketing job field and lack even more experience in digital marketing where I work. My boss is the sales guy and the other is the CEO's wife (so no room for argument there). They are constantly suggesting we do certain things that make no sense. I will step in and say I would not suggest doing this, because..(list reasons, data, best practices). However, even with data, I'm usually forced to follow through with their plans regardless of whether it's a good idea or not.

This is extremely frustrating to me. I feel I am not allowed to properly do my job, and my results suffer because of it. I will often have to drop everything I'm doing to start on a project that's a waste of time. The worst part is my boss will flip flop on decisions. He always says that I "own" the program, I'm in charge of it and I can make it what I want but I can't when I'm being forced to do things I don't think should be done. Three months ago, the team decided against doing something because it wasn't a good use of our time. Today, the Director brought up the topic again and now my boss thinks it's good idea and demands that we follow through with it, despite agreeing with the team before that it was a waste of time. I brought up our previous discussion, with data on why we decided not to do it, but it didn't matter.

I do enjoy my job, but things like this are very frustrating and hinder me from performing well. Does anyone have suggestions on dealing with people like this, or confronting my boss to let him know how I feel?

Member Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris555 View Post
    I have an interesting dynamic at my organization, where the higher ups (director, VP) don't actually have any experience in the marketing job field and lack even more experience in digital marketing where I work. My boss is the sales guy and the other is the CEO's wife (so no room for argument there). They are constantly suggesting we do certain things that make no sense. I will step in and say I would not suggest doing this, because..(list reasons, data, best practices). However, even with data, I'm usually forced to follow through with their plans regardless of whether it's a good idea or not.

This is extremely frustrating to me. I feel I am not allowed to properly do my job, and my results suffer because of it. I will often have to drop everything I'm doing to start on a project that's a waste of time. The worst part is my boss will flip flop on decisions. He always says that I "own" the program, I'm in charge of it and I can make it what I want but I can't when I'm being forced to do things I don't think should be done. Three months ago, the team decided against doing something because it wasn't a good use of our time. Today, the Director brought up the topic again and now my boss thinks it's good idea and demands that we follow through with it, despite agreeing with the team before that it was a waste of time. I brought up our previous discussion, with data on why we decided not to do it, but it didn't matter.

I do enjoy my job, but things like this are very frustrating and hinder me from performing well. Does anyone have suggestions on dealing with people like this, or confronting my boss to let him know how I feel?
    According to Robert Greene, he wrote in his book "48 Laws of Power" that if you want to get gain acknowledgments but people refuse to listen to you, it is better to show them with straight results. Some times people believe in action more than they trust words. So if you just work and show the results, you will gain more acknowledgments and possibly higher promotion. Good Luck!

Senior Member Expert
    If you can't rectify matters by doing work the way you think it should be done. it may be time to move on so that you don't continue to work in a way that bothers your conscience.
    Todd can teach you a lot about how to get a job and get more out of your career.

4. This ad will disappear if you login