+ Reply to Thread

New Colleague Trying to Tell me What to Do

So a new guy has started working in my office recently. At first he seemed cool and really enthusiastic. However recently he's been trying to tell me what to do. He is just fresh out of uni, while I have been working in this type of job for 6 years I know he is trying to be helpful but now he is just annoying. It started with him suggesting I do these very basic things, but he seems to forget I've been doing this job for so long, whatever he suggests to me I've already done of thought about. So I didn't thing much of this.

However this week he sent me an email trying out point out faults with my work. They weren't faults, it's just because he's new he doesn't totally understand how the company operates. When I explained that to him in a very diplomatic way, he replied with 'when you produce new stuff, can you send it to me so I can check it'.

Check it?? He's barely in the job and wants to check my work? It isn't his job to do that! What's more is that he isn't even in my team. I spoke to someone who works alongside him in his team and she said she is having difficulties with him too. She said he has undermined her too, when she told him one of his ideas wouldn't work. He went above her head.

He really needs to chill out, take a step back and not be so eager to impress. But my dilemma is do I do nothing, tell him directly he's too eager or say something to my line manager or his line manager.

Any advice welcome

Senior Member Expert
    If talking to him about it in a tactful manner doesn't work, talk to his immediate supervisor and keep going up the chain of command if you must. This worker probably won't last long without being a team player.
    Todd can teach you a lot about how to get a job and get more out of your career.

Junior Member Junior Member
    A few points ...

1. Remember that being fresh out of the university has its advantages. He may know some things that are useful, so be open to ideas.

2. From your story, it looks like this person has the common problem in people with tunnel vision. They only see what they want to see or they do not consider the bigger picture. You need to let your own line leader know that you are concerned about this one person. If his behavior will affect your performance, your leader needs to know and do something about it. It should also be your line leader who will speak with the line leader of your problem person. hope this helps.

It sounds like he is behaving as if he is in a higher level than you. Is that the case?

Either way, I would talk to your immediate manager & get guidance from your manager.
    https://kmd-solutions.com Job Search, Career, Salary, Pay Rise Info, Resume Samples & Tips

This happens lot of times with who had been in company for 5 or 6 years, new grads come to office with new technologies and telling us what to do and all stuff but i think you should do is be diplomatic and if he had learned some new stuff from your field then learn from him it will help you in future when you are thinking about switching into new company. on similar note you can also check this career advice

Thanks & Regards,

Sandesh Bukate

Quote Originally Posted by mooneus View Post
    So a new guy has started working in my office recently. At first he seemed cool and really enthusiastic. However recently he's been trying to tell me what to do. He is just fresh out of uni, while I have been working in this type of job for 6 years I know he is trying to be helpful but now he is just annoying. It started with him suggesting I do these very basic things, but he seems to forget I've been doing this job for so long, whatever he suggests to me I've already done of thought about. So I didn't thing much of this.

However this week he sent me an email trying out point out faults with my work. They weren't faults, it's just because he's new he doesn't totally understand how the company operates. When I explained that to him in a very diplomatic way, he replied with 'when you produce new stuff, can you send it to me so I can check it'.

Check it?? He's barely in the job and wants to check my work? It isn't his job to do that! What's more is that he isn't even in my team. I spoke to someone who works alongside him in his team and she said she is having difficulties with him too. She said he has undermined her too, when she told him one of his ideas wouldn't work. He went above her head.

He really needs to chill out, take a step back and not be so eager to impress. But my dilemma is do I do nothing, tell him directly he's too eager or say something to my line manager or his line manager.

Any advice welcome

I know this is an old post but found it to be an interesting discussion. This seems to be someone who just is completely clueless as to how to be a team player and communicate properly within the workplace. Likely because he is fresh out of college. I couldn't imagine being new to my role, with little to no experience in a professional environment, bossing people around like that. However, I do remember what it was like to be inexperienced and I definitely had my fair share of moments, as most of us have. We all have to start somewhere and from there we make mistakes, learn, and continue to grow. As long as we learn from our mistakes and do not repeat them, then progress is made!

Am sure by now some resolution was determined, maybe he is no longer an employee, or hopefully things have improved. It's not an easy situation to be in, especially considering this is occurring across teams. My first approach is always to have a respectful conversation with someone who I am having an issue with and allow them to express their concerns while I express mine... the end goal is always to come together to find a common ground which usually works when handled the right way. If not, then the issue needs to be escalated.

7. This ad will disappear if you login