+ Reply to Thread

Demotion (sort of)

So I've been working in IT at a major corporation for 8 years. I started out on the local help desk and slowly worked my way up the ladder. I earned my CCNA and joined the global network team as an engineer in 2016.

I was recently informed that my position is being outsourced overseas. My former boss on the help desk does not want to lose my experience, so he has offered to move me back to my former position. I will receive the same pay, will be involved with network related tasks, but I will no longer be a part of the network team and much of my access will be stripped. So basically it's a huge demotion skill-wise even though I will retain my current pay (which is very high for help desk.)

My first reaction is that I'm outta here as soon as I can find another job in networking--I need to be somewhere I can utilize my skills. However, when you work at one place for so long, you settle in, get comfortable, not to mention I live less than 10 minutes away. I'm not getting any younger (pushing 40) and I'm not looking forward to starting over again... I also fear if I leave a job that has been pretty stable for 8 years, who knows what would happen at the new job in the unpredictable field of IT?

What would you do in my shoes? Jump at the next opportunity that will match your skills and pay, continuing to grow your career? Or stay in the comfort zone back down the ladder, enjoying network engineer salary without the stress that comes with it?

Senior Member Expert
    You should do what will ultimately make you happy for the long haul. Before applying for work with a related firm, learn about their history, culture and potential to stick around for a long time.
    Todd can teach you a lot about how to get a job and get more out of your career.

Quote Originally Posted by toddhicks209 View Post
    You should do what will ultimately make you happy for the long haul. Before applying for work with a related firm, learn about their history, culture and potential to stick around for a long time.
    Thank you for your response. Yeah I think I need to go with my gut here.. It tells me that any kind of demotion, even with the same pay, is not going to be good for my career in the long run. The good news is that I have plenty of time to find the right opportunity since my employment is still stable. I've always wanted to move closer to the mountains.

Thanks again!

4. This ad will disappear if you login