+ Reply to Thread

How to explain why you left your previous job?

So, my boss told me that they are cutting off the budget and my position won't be existing in 2/3 months (when my contract ends) so I have to find a new job by then. So, since I am currently working while going to other interviews what should I say when they ask me why I am leaving my current job?

Senior Member Expert
    Just be honest about it. If they're smart and reasonable, they can't help but to understand.
    Todd can teach you a lot about how to get a job and get more out of your career.

Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    So, my boss told me that they are cutting off the budget and my position won't be existing in 2/3 months (when my contract ends) so I have to find a new job by then. So, since I am currently working while going to other interviews what should I say when they ask me why I am leaving my current job?
    Well i am going to provide you some examples for this question :

Best Answers For Why Did You Leave Your Last Job:
    1. I had been with the company for several years and now want to experience a new environment to continue my growth.

No hiring manager would find fault in wanting to have well-rounded experience and gain a new perspective on your career.

2. I was offered a better position at another company.

Your past employers can’t every time offer the ideal next step in your career when you need. Leaving to advance in your career is a common reason and this won’t be the first time an interviewer heard it. You can be honest entirely if this is the case.

3. I left for an opportunity to advance my career.

In case it happened that you didn’t receive a promotion in terms of job title, but you saw a better path forward at another company. Or you opted for another company to learn new skills.

4. I was offered a better pay increase.

The fact is that we all work for money. Also, try to combine with some other reason so that you don’t appear too much focused on money. This is one practical reason for why did you leave your last job, though.

Click Here To Read Full Article : “Why Did You Leave Your Last Job”
    We can help you to find your dream Job and would give you best Career Advice.

Interview tips (Do's and Don'ts)

Your scenario is unfortunately very common. Underpaid, overworked, and then phased out. Iím sorry you had to go through this experience.

In your situation, I would suggest saying something like ďI felt like I had reached a point where I was no longer growing or learning in my role. I tried to work with my manager to find a better fitting role in the company but we were unsuccessful. This is why I started looking for new opportunities.Ē

This sort of answer focuses on your desire to progress your career forward. Employer looking to hire you will like that you have a drive for self improvement.

Donít bad mouth your previous employer by saying how you felt like you were underpaid and overworked and definitely donít mention how you felt like your layoff was a political play. In fact, you donít even need to mention that you were laid off unless the topic ďunder what circumstances did you leave the companyĒ comes up.

Here is a list of other acceptable, common reasons that employers will accept:

Iím looking for a job that is closer to home to shorten my commute time. (Use only if relevant and applicable).
    Iím not being challenged enough in my current role so Iím looking for an opportunity where I can continue to learn and grow. (This is the one I suggested for you).

There has been changes in the leadership and the direction of where my team is going. It is no longer going in a direction that makes sense for my career so Iím looking for opportunities that is more aligned with my goals. (This could work for you too)

There has been restructuring in the company and my team will be impacted. (This is a professional way of saying I was let go but it was completely out of my control and not due to my performance)
    • I want to work for a company in a different industry.
    • I want to work with a company with a different company culture.
    • I want to work for a company of a different size.

There has been changes in the overall vision and objectives of the company so I want to join a company with a vision that I can better support and work towards. (This is a professional way of subtly saying that there was a culture clash between me and the company. If you do use this reason, be prepared to explain what about the culture was not a good fit).

You can read more such Do's and Dont's for Interview Tips here - 11 Best Interview Tips to secure job

5. This ad will disappear if you login