+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

include picture with resume?

Should one include a picture of himself or herself with his or her resume?

In most cases you shouldn't.

If you are asked to send a photo, then do so.
    http://www.kmd-solutions.com Job Search, Career, Salary, Pay Rise Info, Samples & Tips
    http://www.accufabsolutions.com.au/

in most cases a picture is not necessary. But there are other times when it's obvious that a picture is necessary - like if you're looking for a job as a newsreader or TV presenter, or a model, or entertainer etc. Maybe if you want to be the "public face" of the company, but I think those times would be rare. Those places would be looking for people via agencies anyway. IMHO...

Senior Member Expert
    As the others have said, unless it is specifically asked for, or it makes a lot of sense to include it, such as in the case of modeling, newscaster, acting, etc, I would not recommend including it. Yes, it may add a little peronality to your resume and make it stand out, but employers are not particulary interested in how you look, but rather how you work. They are going to see you in your interview, so basically what I am saying is it serves no real purpose in a resume, other than to just take up space, which employers do not appreciate.

Tom

numerouno

Inclusion of a photo with your Resume or Curiculum Vitae

There is a great little snippet on this very topic at the bottom of the http://www.progressenterprise.com home page. Well worth a look.

In most cases a photo is redundant, but remember that not every employer is a major corporation with a huge HR section. Small business is populated by people, each with their own likes and dislikes.

Just make sure the photo is of an appropriate size (no bigger than passport) if you are going to use one.

Senior Member Expert
    Ya, you make a good point about the size of the company affecting this, but I think typically if it is a smaller company without an HR department, then they are going to put a lot more emphasis on the interview, as your people skills are going to be much more important in a small company. Either way your suggestion of a passport size photo if any is a good suggestion for size.

Tom

Only if you apply for a job that implies modeling...or for jobs that specify this thing like "in search of good looking people to promote I-don't-know-what thing".

But for the serious jobs (do not jump, alright....I ferer to jobs which imply seriousness) you shouldn't attach a picture. Employers are in search of abilities, not of aces....I hope....)

I believe I've heard this is common practice in the UK, but as you are in the U.S....don't do it! There are just too many ways people could be biased. On one hand, yes, you might have the look that they like and it could help...but maybe you don't. Maybe they think you look too old, or too young. If you're attractive, maybe they'll like that, or maybe it'll make them think you're dumb or that you only submitted the picture to try to get the job based on your looks. Or maybe they'll think you're not attractive enough, or you won't be the sort of attractive they prefer.

I guess I just don't trust people enough to not be biased--and if they are, I'd rather not give them fodder to eliminate me based on something stupid like the fact that their ex has the same color hair I do and hence they will not hire me.

Junior Member Newbie
    I have mixed thoughts.

I don't think the arguments against it are necessarily valid. Arguing against putting a little picture in a resume is almost the same as arguing that you should wear a mask at your interview. Point being, they're going to see you anyway...why not let them see you before you get there. Then any physical discrimination can be completed before the interview begins.

I think a picture could be a good idea under two circumstances: A) Your applying for a job very far away. B) Your picture is generally attractive.

The only reason I don't do it myself is because it is uncommon for others to. I'd rather not risk being the unusual or atypical resume in the group.

Junior Member Newbie

HONEST TRUTH FROM AN EMPLOYERS P.O.V.

HERES THE TRUTH...
    I WILL BRING IN A PERSON FOR AN INTERVIEW IF THIER RESUME MAKES ME THINK THEY ARE QUALIFIED FOR THE POSITION BUT I'VE BEEN FOOLED PLENTY OF TIME BY PEOPLE WHO CAN HAVE A RESUME WIZARD OR EMPLOYMENT OFFICE HELP THEM WRITE A GREAT LOOKING RESUME (SO IM THINKING I WILL BE INTERVIEWING A "THE NEXT DONALD TRUMP") BUT WHEN THEY SHOW UP FOR THIER INTER VIEW IN A TANK TOP AND JEANS WITH MORE TATOOS THAN TOMMY LEE AND MORE FACIAL PIERCINGS THAN A CIRCUS FREAKSHOW IM JUST WASTEING MY TIME AND AM VERY DISAPPOINTED

IM JUST SAYING... I'VE LOOKED AT HUNDREDS OF RESUMES OVER THE LAST 8 YEARS BETWEEN 2 DIFFERENT MANGMNT POSITIONS @ 2 DIFFERENT COMPANIES AND I CAN HONESTLY SAY THAT THE RESUMES WITH A SMALL 1 1/2 INCH X 1 1/2 INCH PICTURE OF THE APPLICANT ON IT REALLY REALLY STAND OUT ABOVE THE REST OF THE STACK OF RESUMES. ITS A GREAT IDEA MAKE SURE ITS A PROF. LOOKING PICTURE, NO PETS FRIENDS OR FAMILY IN THE PICTURE.

-BILL

Re: Inclusion of a photo with your Resume or Curiculum Vitae

Quote Originally Posted by numerouno
    There is a great little snippet on this very topic at the bottom of the http://www.progressenterprise.com home page. Well worth a look.

In most cases a photo is redundant, but remember that not every employer is a major corporation with a huge HR section. Small business is populated by people, each with their own likes and dislikes.

Just make sure the photo is of an appropriate size (no bigger than passport) if you are going to use one.
    The article has moved... try http://www.progressenterprise.com/ar...n_of_photo.htm instead.

numerouno
    Progress Enterprise

I generally agree with what's been written above.

Teaching English in China, I found this post useful with regards to local practices. http://teachstudychina.com/including...r-cv-or-resume

Junior Member Junior Member
    In most cases, including a picture with your resume is not necessary. Unless you are applying for a job where your looks are vital (actor, model, etc.) leave the picture off.

Unfortunately, there are still a great deal of people who discriminate against faces (even beautiful ones) and names in some cases. Why give them the chance to judge you before you even set foot in an interview? You should be judged first on your accomplishments in past jobs.

Jen

Video CV's

Has anyone thought of using multimedia CV's? I know it may seem a different concept but do you think that in the Credit Crunch that video CV's may make you stand out above the rest??

Ben

I like the idea of a video Ben, I think it would really make you stand out, it shows a bit of ingenuity.

I guess it depends on the employers though, some won't care for it but for others it will make you stand out from the crowd.

Have you already tried this? If so what success did it have?
    An online job listing site for
    Hairdressing Jobs
    in the uk

16. This ad will disappear if you login