+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Newbie

Don't know where to look after 5 years.

My career path is pretty bleak.

The last job I had was in 2005 and finished after the contract expired. I then went on to university and did a year after which I pulled out due to health issues. The following year I went through recovering of my health issues and the following year I took up my degree although I didn't finish it due to money issues and personal problems.

I spent last year voulenteering at a school once a week for tutoring, however the supervisor retired and I couldn't get a reference.

So now I'm healthy and ready for a job. I did apply for a tutoring job, however after the interview which I did tell the interviewer that I didn't have any reliable references for the position just a personal reference and a reference from my first job 10 years ago. The interviewer called to say I didn't get the job and questioned as to why I applied for the postion even when I told him I did a year at university for a teaching degree and I felt I would be more suitable for the job because I rather work one on one then in a class room of 30. Then the interviewer questioned over the phone why I didn't give references that were applicable to the position.

(I do knw who got the job, had the same job last year so.)

Okay, so I'm going with this, what can I do to get ready to get an offical career, especially as 5 years is a long time not to have a job. I feel out of place and don't know where to start. Most jobs now days want at least three references and I don't have that many.

Should I start voulenteering more to gain a reputation? Or should I cold call businesses and see what they have?

How would you go with in my position?

I would do everything. I would apply to as many jobs as I can while volunteering for something just to be able to say "I have this experience and that experience"

If you only apply to one job you have no chance of ever finding something.

Think bigger.

Blog Entries
    Hi Francine,

What kind of career are you looking for? If you still want to go into teaching, then yes, continue volunteering and tutoring as you apply for jobs. If you want to be a teacher in a classroom, you'll likely need to finish your teaching degree. If you prefer more one-on-one work with students, then potentially you'd do better to work as a teacher's aide. If financial reasons keep you from getting a degree right now, then consider completing a certificate program. This lends you a bit more credibility, and if it's an in-classroom program (vs online), then your teacher can serve as a recommendation.

I would try to avoid telling an interviewer that you "don't have reliable references." Let them figure this out. Use family, friends, old teachers--especially ones that know your work ethic--and check mark them as personal references. But also, think back to if you tutored your friend's child or a niece or nephew--their parent can be a work reference, even if it's a friend. Is there another person at the school where you tutored that could serve as a reference--a teacher, a happy parent, the principal?

Also, I know it isn't right or fair, but from what I've read from people who struggled to reenter the workforce after an illness, they found that employers were much less likely to hire them if they mentioned their illness. While it seems like a good thing to explain, so the employer understands the gap in your history, according to these people found it was more detrimental than anything. Check out a post I wrote about this struggle here and take a look at the article I linked in it. It has some great, first-hand advice.

Now, as a teacher's aide, the potential for job growth is kind of limited, unless you want to finish your teaching degree and run a classroom, or go into administration. Consider other industries that you might enjoy. It sounds like you might enjoy working in health care, which is a great industry to get into right now, as it's one of the fastest-growing. Depending on your countries' laws, you could work as a home health aide or personal caregiver with little to no experience, and minor training. Or you could do a 1-4 year program to become a nurse or other caregiver. Or consider becoming a social worker.

Think about what industry you want to go into, then volunteer or do internships that relate to that career to build up work references and work experience. You can cold call businesses, but checking online job boards and then writing personalized cover letters for those positions will be more effective. Also, consider going back to school; a degree or technical certificate will give you a lot more options.

Banned Newbie
    Hi Francine,

There are a lot of unemployment agencies in 50 states on the Jobless Claims Website. Maybe you can find your answers there. Volunteering is also good but I would suggest working from home while waiting for the right job.

one of the best part of transitioning into HHA (home health aide) is that you can find free courses, at least in the US
    for example, this site has a list of free courses: http://homehealthacademy.org

Senior Member Expert
    You probably have 3 references but may not know it. Besides listing former bosses, list people you have interned or volunteered for to provide a professional reference. Also, ask up to 3 close friends to be a personal reference.
    Todd can teach you a lot about how to get a job and get more out of your career.

Answer to unemployment

Rising unemployment is our main issue especially for a fresher,who is struggling to start a career.But nowadays things aren't that difficult , there are many opportunities to explore especially in the field of Digital Marketing.Scope in digital marketing is tremendous,one can do it on full fledged basis or as a freelancer while you simultaneously work on your dream career so that you earn and learn simultaneously.Its totally up to the individual you the make the most of this upcoming field.

What type of profession/career is most appealing to you?

9. This ad will disappear if you login