+ Reply to Thread

Feel like I'll be poor forever...

So in a nutshell I am 22 years old, graduated college with a BA in Arts and Technology (fml), and currently work at a large electronics retail store as a Customer Service Associate (otherwise known as a cashier).

I truly feel like I will have crap jobs for the rest of my life. I'm not inspired to do any more schooling (although i'd stick through some if i believed it would get me somewhere), I don't have any passions anymore really, and applying to every job possible just doesn't appeal to me (plus I unfortunately got a BA in ARTS AND TECHNOLOGY AND WTF IS THAT I JUST GOT IT CUZ MY PARENTS SAID TO GET A DEGREE).

What is the way to succeed?!? School? Apply everywhere? Network? I'm bored out of my f*ckin mind at this retail store. I've been here for about 8 months now and i'm losing my mind. I know I can do better than this, but im just horribly confused as to what the next step is...blaaaaaah

thanks in advance for any advice!

Administrator Senior Member selk18's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    xJustin,

Your degree is worth something! Why don't you talk to a career counselor or advisor from your college and see if they can suggest different routes you can take with that degree in hand.

You have to have a positive attitude about this. If you don't feel like doing anything, you're not going to get anywhere. A fun job that pays well isn't going to fall in your lap. You should research what types of jobs look for applicants with a degree in Arts and Technology.

What are you interested in? What do you envision doing for the rest of your life? How can you take your passions and turn them into a satisfying career? You have to ask yourself what you want in life and map out the necessary steps to get there.

Once you figure out the general direction you want to go in, the steps to get there will become easier and you will feel less frustrated. Talk to your past professors and college advisors, they can help you take the resources you have and turn them into a planned-out career path.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by selk18 View Post
    xJustin,

Your degree is worth something! Why don't you talk to a career counselor or advisor from your college and see if they can suggest different routes you can take with that degree in hand.

You have to have a positive attitude about this. If you don't feel like doing anything, you're not going to get anywhere. A fun job that pays well isn't going to fall in your lap. You should research what types of jobs look for applicants with a degree in Arts and Technology.

What are you interested in? What do you envision doing for the rest of your life? How can you take your passions and turn them into a satisfying career? You have to ask yourself what you want in life and map out the necessary steps to get there.

Once you figure out the general direction you want to go in, the steps to get there will become easier and you will feel less frustrated. Talk to your past professors and college advisors, they can help you take the resources you have and turn them into a planned-out career path.

Best of luck!
    Look, if you ever met me you'd think i was one of the most positive people around. I can see through all the bullshit though and I'm not going to lie to myself about reality. I do appreciate you're help though atleast you're trying!!!

With that said...

I've given up the idealism of wanting a fun job. All I want is a job I can live off of and I'll enjoy myself outside of work if that's what it takes.

I've heard that a majority of people end up working somewhere completely unrelated to their college degree. Honestly I wasn't passionate about my degree of choice, i just did it cuz that's what i chose when i was a senior in high school and i didn't wanna change degrees (and this degree was pretty easy anyways).

What types of jobs look for a degree in Arts and Technology??
    Looking back I feel retarded choosing this degree because, let's be honest, wtf is even Arts and Technology anyways? I feel that school was a waste of time (atleast when it comes to learning things related to any possible career).

What am I interested in? Uhh eating, picking up chicks, and having sex (and i don't mean to mock your question there it's just what came to mind haha)...i mean come on how do people ever enjoy anything for that long anyways. I get bored with things pretty fast :/ Furthermore, it seems like in this world you gotta sell your soul to some kind of evil corporation to get anywhere...eff

I really just want straight answers here with no bullshit silver lining. Am I gunna live a mediocre life because of the decisions i've made or because the economy sucks and i'm just not the kind of person to be uber motivated to succeed in life?...am i going to have to join the military like so many people I know around here?

fuuuuu
    Last edited by xJustin; 8th April 2011 at 12:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    xJustin,

Haha ok although your passions don't really bring any lucrative careers to mind, it does mean something if you're looking for a job you can make a living off of. (Money making = Passion!) I think your best best is to work for a company that has the option of advancement. Even an entry-level position at a bank can set you up for life if you work your way up (which doesn't take very long). If there are pre-reqs required like a college course, you can take them while working there.

You're right, most jobs aren't going to be fun in the traditional sense (like picking up chicks and having sex) but there are definitely more than a few that won't leave you with the "I hate waking up to this every morning" feeling.

You're not going to live the mediocre life, like you said a lot of people end up working in a field that has nothing to do with their degree. Remember there are trade schools and even short programs that can kick start you in a different field completely. But with any big decision, it's going to take time and effort whether you work your way up, go back to school or enroll in an accelerated program.

Quote Originally Posted by selk18 View Post
    xJustin,

Haha ok although your passions don't really bring any lucrative careers to mind, it does mean something if you're looking for a job you can make a living off of. (Money making = Passion!) I think your best best is to work for a company that has the option of advancement. Even an entry-level position at a bank can set you up for life if you work your way up (which doesn't take very long). If there are pre-reqs required like a college course, you can take them while working there.

You're right, most jobs aren't going to be fun in the traditional sense (like picking up chicks and having sex) but there are definitely more than a few that won't leave you with the "I hate waking up to this every morning" feeling.

You're not going to live the mediocre life, like you said a lot of people end up working in a field that has nothing to do with their degree. Remember there are trade schools and even short programs that can kick start you in a different field completely. But with any big decision, it's going to take time and effort whether you work your way up, go back to school or enroll in an accelerated program.
    Thanks for another reply, wasn't sure if i'd scared ya away already haha

Where can i see some lists of trade schools, short/accelerated programs that lead to jobs that will be in demand? I wouldn't mind giving these a shot (or even the bank thing that you mentioned there).

Trust me when I say that I'll work my butt off though. I'm so bored with my current life that I would rather do ANYTHING but nothing.

Blog Entries
    xJustin,

Ha, takes more than that to scare me!
    Here a few cool resources I found

Top 10 High Paying Jobs that Require No College Degree: http://tinyurl.com/444s3ym
    (see which catch your attention and research more details)

What is a Career College?: http://tinyurl.com/3t5u7ny

The Case for a Useless Degree: http://tinyurl.com/3vq36ch

Hope these help!

7. This ad will disappear if you login