+ Reply to Thread

Can employers withdraw or terminate your job offer based on poor references?

Hello, ok not sure what sub-forum to ask this but here it goes...

After successful in job interviews, you get a job offer through. You accept it verbally. You then get sent the employment contract through post.

At this time, it asks you to keep a copy of contract and send one signed copy back (i.e. the normal procedure etc...). Also, it requests for references and loads of other stuff(proof of ids etc..).

You signed the employment contract and send it back along with refs..etc...

At this point can they terminate the offer based on poor references recieved (if you do get poor reference)?

*at no where in the job offer (email, face - face interview) they say the "offer is dependent on satisfactory references"

so i'm just curious...

thanks

Administrator Senior Member selk18's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Daniel123,

I think technically they can choose to retract the job offer depending on what your references say. However, depending on where you live, what your prospective employer can ask your references is very limited by law. So this doesn't give them a whole lot of information anyway and in the rare case your references say something bad, they definitely have the right to take that into consideration. But then again, why would you list a reference who wouldn't say good things about you?

Hopefully, since it looks like you're at the final stages of accepting the position, the process of talking to your references (if they even decide to contact them) should go over smoothly. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice. Was just thinking though. Just incase they did retract the offer i wasn't sure if they can do that after i signed the contract because an important point here is that:

they're taking references after i have signed the contract. so effectively i am their employee. Plus there is no clause in contract stating they can get rid of me because of references..

however, is it true that contract only becomes valid on the day you stated you would start employment?

Administrator Senior Member selk18's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Daniel123,

If they have just reason, they can get rid of you whenever they want. I don't think the fact you signed the contract matters and I don't think they have to state that in the contract either.

The contract should state when it goes into effect, whether it's the date you signed it or the date you start work.

I see. Thanks for your advice i will look into contract deeply

6. This ad will disappear if you login