+ Reply to Thread

How to answer "reason for leaving" and other advic

I worked for a major transportation company for about 4 years and 4 months. I had been a supervisor there for about 2 and a half years. There was an incident with an employee that resulted in physical contact. I made a wrong choice that day. After a week long investigation, I was basically forced to resign, as the only other option was to be terminated. I was told by management that only the dates of employment would be recorded.

When I fill out applications there's usually one short line for "reason for leaving". What should I put there? During the interview, how much detail should I go into about the incident? Also, are the new employers allowed to contact my former employer about the details of the incident?

Has anyone been through this or know someone who has?

Thank you,
    Paul

Junior Member Newbie

Reason for leaving

Paul,
    I have not experienced this myself, but I know someone who has. While it IS important to be honest on your resume, you are not required to admit every fault - otherwise none of us would be hired ... we are all human & make mistakes.

You could put your reason for leaving as: to pursue other opportunities - that is the truth. In the interview, the less said the better. One suggestion might be that you had a disagreement with management that could not be resolved, so you both decided it would be for the best to part ways.

New employers are allowed to contact your former employer, but rarely to they divulge such things as why people leave. It's a good thing that you were not fired so that is not on your record.

I wouldn't worry too much about people finding out about this incident. Maybe they will, maybe they won't. If it does come out, people will want to know what you have done/are doing to make sure you don't repeat this behavior ever again, so be prepared with a truthful answer.

Best of luck to you in your search!
    ~Diane
    Free e-course: How to Be Successful in ANY Economy (www.howtobesuccessfulinanyeconomy.com). Increase performance. Clarify career direction. Enhance your business. Make a difference.

Senior Member Expert

reason for leaving and other advic

When employers ask you why you decided to leave your previous job they are really just trying to get a sense of your loyalty vs flight risk at the first sign of trouble. Employers generally know that in order to keep you they need to provide you with fair and at least market value compensation packages and a work culture that fits your values.

So, you can answer the question “why did you leave your previous job” in any of the following ways. The following are all professionally acceptable reasons:

You left because you for more growth opportunities
    You left because you wanted to face new challenges
    You left because of a personal/family emergency
    You left because of medical reasons
    You left because you went back to school
    You left because it wasn’t a good cultural fit
    You left because the company downsized/ restructured
    You left because the company went out of business
    Given your particular scenario I would choose to describe as

Lack of opportunity for growth
    Looking for new challenges

4. This ad will disappear if you login