+ Reply to Thread

Personal Interests/Hobbies important on CV?

Has a particular personal interest/Hobby ever helped anyone on a CV or an interview? I don't know much detail I should include on this, I've known people who have gone for interviews and were mostly asked about some experience not really related to the job. Could this be an advantage & does anyone have any experience of this?
    Thank You

Senior Member Expert
    It would depend on how the hobby relates to the job you are applying for. If you are looking at a hobby in restoring cars, and the job is looking for someone who can do mechanical engine work, then it is important and should be included. Here are some basic tips regarding your CV. If you would like something more specific, doing a keyword search on the sitemap can help you a lot.

http://www.cvtips.com/improve_CV.html

You know? This is additional information, meaning information which cannot generally harm if it is included in the CV. Only if you say something "My hobby is tormenting children" LOL...but I doubt you'll have such things in your CV. So basically what I'm saying is include something in those areas because it can only help you.
    Another thing. Whenever I apply for a job, I change the hobby area and tailor it somehow to the specific of the job I'm seeking for. It's all about things you like doing, so...they cannot measure the truthfulness of that statement.

http://www.cvtips.com/resume.html

Senior Member Expert
    Ank's suggestions were excellent to you and I hope you consider them. Just like you should tailor a cover letter to fit any job you are applying for, small changes within a resume or CV are just as important. Tailor them to fit the job. Here is some more information for you, about putting personal info in your CV/resume.

http://www.cvtips.com/resume_personal_information.html

If you happen to interview with someone who has the same hobbies, it could help you.

But it could also do the opposite. If you say you're active in your church and they're a strict atheist who hates religion, or you say you're big into sports and they hate sports, it could color you negatively as well.

Does your ability to apply for the job or skills for the job look more relevant if you include a CV Interests section? For instance, if the job asks for managerial skills, and you don't have any in your work history, but captain a football team or manage a community group, then yes include it - if not, its just filling up the paper, and you probably shouldn't include it.

Good Luck!

CV Interests

Junior Member New User
    Shouldn't make any major difference, however it may -- you just never know with these things, for example if a candidate lists on their CV they like football, and they support ManU, if the manager shortlisting happens to also support ManU, it can be a winning ticket.....make your interests as detailed as possible, however don't list too many.

If you need personal interview or CV help you can check out this great CV Writing
    OlaPK
    Professional CV (Curriculum Vate), Cover Letter & Resume Writer
    Professional CV, Cover Letter & Resume Services

8. This ad will disappear if you login