+ Reply to Thread

CV Critique - Retail Manager

Hi guys, decided to look for a new job and after a couple of days of sorting my cv out, please could someone rip it apart? would be appreciated.

PERSONAL PROFILE
    I am an experienced, highly successful manager looking for a management position within your company. My proven track record of results and determination to succeed will be invaluable to your business. I believe a direct and hands-on approach to management coupled with the continual development and constant feedback of staff leads to high standards and increased profits.

I assist the Store Manager in achieving the highest sales possible in his store, whilst ensuring an efficient and co-operative working environment, consistent store standards, minimal costs, optimum productivity, tightly controlled inventory and price change, strong due diligence and accurate accounts.

I am also part of a football team, as well as a keen golfer, cricketer and frequent gym user.

KEY ACHIEVEMENTS
    Improved sales growth from 12% in 2010 to 43% YTD through accurate ordering, ensuring full availability across all areas of the store. Predicted sales this year 5.4 Million.

Improved customer count from a 2% increase in 2010 to 9% YTD through ensuring a clean, full store and staff re-training on customer service where necessary.

Saved company 100k in 3 years. Helped increase inventory loss from 1.4% in 2009 to 0.9% in 2010 to just 0.45% YTD by implementing daily counts of stock on problem lines. Staff re-training on all aspects of inventory controls such as till procedure, vigilance on the shop floor and delivery procedures.

Suggested and hold monthly meetings with the store manager in which all staff are to attend to discuss and catch up on any issues anyone has and to communicate any changes within the store and company.

Saved company 30k a year, whilst in control of Inventory Loss at Staples, Inventory decreased from 2.5% to just less than 1% YTD.

Increased business spend from 23% to 36% by generating many new business account customers by cold calling them to offer them a variety of incentives that only I could offer due to the position in my company.

Introduced an incentive scheme which increased attachments from 14.5% to 75.4% YTD, which was recognised as top in the region.

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE

ALDI Food Stores Assistant Store Manager
    2008 Present

Annual Turnover: 5.4 Million

RESPONSIBILITIES

Responsible for training/development on employees

To achieve sales, profit, customer satisfaction and employee commitment targets through the development of a strong store management and colleague team.

Authorises the duties of all employees in store

Authorises the working hours, time off and breaks as well as overtime if required of all employees

Carries out ordering of stock

Ensure the store operates best practice in terms of health and safety, food hygiene safety and security.

To hit tough sales, productivity and Inventory targets to ensure a profitable store

Staples Office Superstore - Inventory Team Leader
    2003 2008
    Annual Turnover: 800,000

RESPONSIBILITIES

Main responsibilities included daily counting of stock to reduce and control Inventory Loss

Ensure the successful return of faulty products back to the manufacturer to ensure a full credit was given back to the company

Responsible for the collation of weekly figures from other stores in Area to discuss on a weekly conference call

To act as duty manager on the shop floor whilst the Store Manager is not present in the store

EDUCATION

BTEC National Diploma in Computing Thanet College (equivalent of 2 A Levels)
    10 GCSEs, grade C or above, including Maths, English, Science and History Hereson School

Thanks for submitting your CV!

Here's some feedback.

1. Use bullet points, headers, and text formatting on your final product to make the CV look pretty. Right now it reads like straight prose.

2. You helped *decrease* inventory loss, right?

3. While you were in control of Inventory Loss at Staples, Inventory *Loss* decreased, right?

4. "Business spend" is vague - you will want to clarify that it is spending by customers, not your employer.

5. What are "attachments"? An extra word or two for clarification might do the trick.

6. Under your RESPONSIBILITIES, make sure that you have uniform formatting re: periods (or not) at the end of each item.

7. Under your RESPONSIBILITIES, change "To achieve" to "Achieves", "To Hit" to "Hit, "Ensure" to "Ensured", and "To act" as "Acted" for uniformity of formatting.

That's about it. Good luck!

wow some great advice there, here is amended CV. It is formatted but it with bullet points etc but doesn't show on here when i copy across. I've got 4 interviews lined up already and i've only been applying for jobs for 3 days. Good progress so far.

PERSONAL PROFILE
    I am an experienced, highly successful manager looking for a management position within your company. My proven track record of results and determination to succeed will be invaluable to your business. I believe strong customer focus, a direct and hands-on approach to management coupled with the continual development and constant feedback to staff leads to high standards and increased profits.

I assist the Store Manager in achieving the highest sales possible in his store, whilst ensuring an efficient and co-operative working environment, consistent store standards, minimal costs, optimum productivity, tightly controlled inventory and price change, strong due diligence and accurate accounts.

I am also part of a football team, as well as a keen golfer, cricketer and frequent gym user.

KEY ACHIEVEMENTS
    Improved sales growth from 12% in 2010 to 50% YTD through accurate ordering, ensuring full availability across all areas of the store. Predicted sales this year 5.4 Million.

Improved customer count from a 2% increase in 2010 to 18% YTD through ensuring a clean, full store and staff re-training on customer service where necessary.

Saved company 100k in 3 years. Helped decrease inventory loss from 1.4% in 2009 to 0.9% in 2010 to just 0.45% YTD by implementing daily counts of stock on problem lines. Staff re-training on all aspects of inventory controls such as till procedure, vigilance on the shop floor and delivery procedures.

Suggested and hold monthly meetings with the store manager in which all staff are to attend to discuss and catch up on any issues anyone has and to communicate any changes within the store and company.

Saved company 30k a year, whilst in control of Inventory Loss at Staples, Inventory decreased from 2.5% to just less than 1% YTD.

Increased customer business spend from 23% to 36% by generating many new business account customers by cold calling them to offer them a variety of incentives that only I could offer due to the position in my company.

Introduced an incentive scheme which increased product attachments from 14.5% to 75.4% YTD, which was recognised as top in the region.

Increased productivity target from 318 in 2010 to 357 YTD. Ensuring all staff are working quickly and efficiently by constantly monitoring performance and giving constant feedback

PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE
    ALDI Food Stores Assistant Store Manager
    2008 Present
    Annual Turnover: 5.4 Million

RESPONSIBILITIES
    Responsible for training/development on employees

Achieves sales, profit, customer satisfaction and employee commitment targets
    through the development of a strong store management and colleague team.

Authorises the duties of all employees in store

Authorises the working hours, time off and breaks as well as overtime if required of all employees

Carries out ordering of stock

Ensured the store operates best practice in terms of health and safety, food hygiene safety and security.

Hit tough sales, productivity and Inventory targets to ensure a profitable store

Staples Office Superstore - Inventory Team Leader
    2003 2008
    Annual Turnover: 800,000

RESPONSIBILITIES
    Main responsibilities included daily counting of stock to reduce and control Inventory Loss

Ensured the successful return of faulty products back to the manufacturer to ensure a full credit was given back to the company

Responsible for the collation of weekly figures from other stores in Area to discuss on a weekly conference call

Acted as duty manager on the shop floor whilst the Store Manager is not present in the store

ADDITIONAL SKILLS/TRAINING
    Personal License Holder, First Aid Trained, Health and Safety Trained

EDUCATION
    BTEC National Diploma in Computing Thanet College (equivalent of 2 A Levels)
    10 GCSEs, grade C or above, including Maths, English, Science and History Hereson School

Well, you have a strong CV, so I'm not surprised I'm sure you'll have some options as to your future employer.

The only advice I'd offer on the revised CV is reiterating:

"Saved company 30k a year.." - Inventory *loss* decreased, not just the inventory, right?

Also, make sure that your periods are uniform in your RESPONSIBILITIES. Either you should have them at the end of all items, or you should have them at the end of none. Since your KEY ACHIEVEMENTS all have periods after them, I suggest that your RESPONSIBILITIES follow suit.

That's it! Go get 'em!

thanks, really appreciate your help. I nearly paid 200 to have my cv re-written. but it just goes to shows if you spend some quality time on your CV and really think about it, then it pays off.

I have about 7 interviews lined up so far over the next couple of weeks!

200 quid to rewrite a CV! That's crazy. I suppose if one's second language were English or something, then it might be worth it. But you're obviously a capable person, so yes, you're right, working on it yourself (and keeping your eyes open for free guidance) should do the trick. Good luck! I'm sure you'll land something to your liking.

7. This ad will disappear if you login