+ Reply to Thread

Help with cv, looking to change career from sales associate to admin, receptionist

HI,

I AM CURRENTLY SEEKING TO CHANGE MY CAREER AND JOB TITLE FROM SALES ASSOCIATE TO ADMIN WORK, RECEPTIONIST WORK. I HAVE APPLIED TO MANY, FOR THE LAST 2 MONTHS AND HAVEN'T RECIEVED ANY CALL BACK.

I GOT MY CV REVIEWED AND WAS TOLD MY PROFILE DOESN'T GIVE A STRONG DISTINCTIVE DIRECTION TO WHAT JOB ROLE IM CHOOSING TO GET IN THE FUTURE.
    I SOME ADVISE AND INPUT WOULD BE VERY APPRICIATED.

PERSONAL PROFILE:
    "I am a dedicated passionate individual who has a creative eye for detail with the ability to think outside the box. As well as being committed and hardworking, I am also a strong communicator fluent in both French and English and a natural leader.
    With these skills I thrive under the responsibilities of deadlines, multi tasking and the challenges of new concepts. I enjoy the results that can be achieved as a team and look forward to meeting new people, training to enhance existing skills and new opportunities to grow and develop. With my work experience listed, my ambition is to work within administration, receptionist and secretarial role."

Administrator Expert
    Hi nadege,

The advice you received was correct.

Your personal profile starts with a list of the usual generic descriptors that employers see on most CVs. Only in the last sentence do you actually state what you are looking for, and even then, it is vague.

Think of your personal profile in terms of 3 questions: Who, What, Why?

Who are you?
    What are you seeking?
    Why do you seek it, and why are you qualified to seek it?

You want the employer to know these things after reading your personal profile.

Additionally, your language could use much tightening/editing to prevent the "eyes glazing over" effect.

Here's an example of what you could do:

I am a sales associate seeking to transition to administration. My long-term goal is [FILL IN THE BLANK], so I want to build up entry-level experience. I am bilingual in French and English and think outside the box. My sales background has given me [X SKILL], [Y SKILL], and [Z SKILL], and I am dedicated, passionate, and hardworking.

See how this answers the 3 questions above, and does so clearly and quickly?

If you want, you can submit your full CV here, and we'd be glad to review it.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for that, it was helpful. May i just ask how do i submit my cv in here for you to view it for me???? I must be daft because i can seem to do it

I am actually thinking my whole CV has to be changed somewhat, I have lied in some part. I am not advanced with the computer, i just know the basics. In saying that i am very confident that i can do admin work just fine. All that needs to be done is to be done is my CV and that one person to give me a break!!!!

Administrator Expert
    No problem, to submit your CV for review, just start a new thread in this forum:
    http://www.cvtips.com/career_advice_...ing-amp-Advice

Make sure you remove all personally identifying details from your CV. (Also, don't lie! It will catch up with you.)

Good luck!

i've added a new thread with my cv for you to have a look at. please be honest with and let me know on how i can improve it. thank you once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by CleeIB View Post
    No problem, to submit your CV for review, just start a new thread in this forum:
    http://www.cvtips.com/career_advice_...ing-amp-Advice

Make sure you remove all personally identifying details from your CV. (Also, don't lie! It will catch up with you.)

Good luck!

Administrator Expert
    No problem, I've replied to your other thread

Thanks, I've just seen it and I will work on it tomorrow. and post it for you to review.

Sorry to be late to the party, but do you really think admin or reception work requires any out of the box thinking or leadership skills? You want to highlight your skills and the fact you are bilingual, a communicator and someone who thrives on deadlines because those are the traits and skills relevant to the position.

I could be wrong, but does that make sense to you?

9. This ad will disappear if you login