+ Reply to Thread

First job, bad work environment. Advice?

I'm 22 going on 23 in 2 weeks. I work in a fast casual food business, and do everything from sweeping the floor, grilling the meats, washing dishes, handling the cash register, cleaning the bathroom, etc. It's my first "real" job that I've had for 13 months. I never have been given more than 15 hours per week, and now its dwindled down to 4 hours per wk.

The place is mis-run in all ways, which spurred my motive to write this, but that's not the focus of this.

My real concern is, how important is this job to my future if I try to stay on board for, say, 24 months? The reasons I ask this are because:

*Possible credit issues: I've only had a secured CC, and am estranged from my family so I need that unsecured CC/raised credit score in order to become more independent. I "heard" someone say to me that it's the 2 year rule, but maybe I'm wrong.

*Future job issues: I've heard that many employers from other/better paying food businesses and in retail/etc look for applicants who've had at least 2 yrs experience in a previous job. Maybe I'm wrong about this too.

Can anyone help shed light on my issue? Thanks for reading!!

Hi nc189,

We're not qualified to give you credit card advice, so you'll have to ask elsewhere about that.

As for the job experience issue, employers can ask for whatever job experience they want out of employees. Some positions require no experience; some require 10 years. It's all up to the individual employer. There is no hard and fast rule.

Of course, the more experience you accrue, the better. If you're only putting in 4 hours per week at your current job, it seems like you could get another job at the same time to build experience.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by nc189 View Post
    I'm 22 going on 23 in 2 weeks. I work in a fast casual food business, and do everything from sweeping the floor, grilling the meats, washing dishes, handling the cash register, cleaning the bathroom, etc. It's my first "real" job that I've had for 13 months. I never have been given more than 15 hours per week, and now its dwindled down to 4 hours per wk.

The place is mis-run in all ways, which spurred my motive to write this, but that's not the focus of this.

My real concern is, how important is this job to my future if I try to stay on board for, say, 24 months? The reasons I ask this are because:

*Possible credit issues: I've only had a secured CC, and am estranged from my family so I need that unsecured CC/raised credit score in order to become more independent. I "heard" someone say to me that it's the 2 year rule, but maybe I'm wrong.

*Future job issues: I've heard that many employers from other/better paying food businesses and in retail/etc look for applicants who've had at least 2 yrs experience in a previous job. Maybe I'm wrong about this too.

Can anyone help shed light on my issue? Thanks for reading!!
    I know this is a bit of an older post, but I am curious... how does one go about taking on credit and/or paying their monthly payments if they are only working 4 hours/week? How do you support yourself?
    Brent Jones | JobGettingTips.com

Winner of the 2012 POWER Expo Social Media Award!
    Resident Expert at the CVTips.com Career Advice Forum!

E: brent@jobgettingtips.com
    | T: @jobgettingtips

It's a shame I didn't see this post sooner. This person should've been looking for a better paying job ASAP.
    You might be willing to bite the bullet to further your career, but in the end, you should be able to make ends meet on the salary and the hours you get.

5. This ad will disappear if you login