+ Reply to Thread

Networking advice

I'm going to be at a hotel with my family for Passover next week. The holiday is 8 days long, and the hotel has all sorts of programming for all ages. Among other things, they have scholars-in-residence and guest-lecturers throughout the week. I just found out one of the guest-lecturers is someone very well-known and important in my field. I'm looking for a job at the moment, so I'm really excited for the chance to meet this person. The thing is, we are all on vacation- but I can't pass up the opportunity, seeing as we're going to be in the same building for 8 days. Is there an appropriate way to network while on vacation? How can I make myself known without bothering him on HIS vacation?

Needless to say, I will be attending all of his lectures and asking intellegent questions. But is there anything else I can do? Any dos and don'ts appreciated- thanks!

Administrator Expert
    Hi anonmom,

You have the right idea. Attend the lectures and ask good questions. You can also approach him in other contexts of this event. If the event has, say, a mixer event, do attend it and try to run into him there. Do *not* track him down at his room or engage with him outside the context of the event. Put yourself in his shoes and imagine the level of privacy you would want - then respect that.

Good luck!

3. This ad will disappear if you login