+ Reply to Thread

Including ill health on CV?

Hi,

I graduated uni July 2011 with a degree in architecture, I'm back to uni again in oct for post grad.

Its ideal that I work in an architecture practice between leaving uni and going back in oct.

I was unable to start finding work in practice after uni due to unexpected ill health, which has now been resolve. but I have only just began sending cv's out.

Do i:

State somewhere in the cover letter about the ill health to avoid them wondering what I've been doing?
    State it in the CV?
    Or just leave it out all together? (I'm leaning towards this one as putting it in just seems a little negative)

Thanks for any help guys

Administrator Expert
    Hi Robwan,

Mention ill health in your cover letter, not your CV. Your CV shows your accomplishments and skills; your cover letter lets you talk about yourself beyond those terms.

State your time of ill health clearly and briefly in your cover letter. Don't get into gory details - you can explain further in your interview, if necessary. Just say that you had a work gap due to unexpected ill health, that your health is good now, and that you are ready to work now. Accentuate the positive. If you used your down time to do anything productive (learn a new skill, keep up on professional knowledge, etc.), state that.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CleeIB View Post
    Hi Robwan,

Mention ill health in your cover letter, not your CV. Your CV shows your accomplishments and skills; your cover letter lets you talk about yourself beyond those terms.

State your time of ill health clearly and briefly in your cover letter. Don't get into gory details - you can explain further in your interview, if necessary. Just say that you had a work gap due to unexpected ill health, that your health is good now, and that you are ready to work now. Accentuate the positive. If you used your down time to do anything productive (learn a new skill, keep up on professional knowledge, etc.), state that.

Good luck!
    Hey thanks for the reply and advice

That sounds good, Just a few brief lines to avoid them wondering what I have been doing lol.

Ok great thanks again!

4. This ad will disappear if you login