+ Reply to Thread

Confused guy needs advice :)

Hello there-

Just signed up, and would love to get some advice on my career. I went to school for Computer Science and have a Bachelors degree. I currently work as a web developer, but I'm starting to get bored . I'm getting bored because there is nothing to do, no project to tackle, no nothing. Just the same old, day in, day out, week after week. I need activity to feel alive

I love the field that I chose. And as I reflect on my personality and my likes/dislikes for a job, here is what I came up with:

1. I love coming up with crazy ideas and solutions for incredibly annoying problems. The more practical the problem, the better. If it's not practical, chances are I will get bored very quickly.

2. I love planning projects and laying out the groundwork for their success. I can 'see' the roadmap for a project, and determine what needs to be done.

3. I'm a lot more social than a lot of my peers. I love to talk with people and get to know them!

DISLIKES
    1. When the framework for a project has been created, and it's time for implementation, I get bored very quickly. I like to make a quick and dirty proof of concept and have others deal with the details.

2. Sitting 9-5 in a seat irritates me if there is nothing to do. If there's plenty to do, I'm happy to put in the hours or work with people to get things done.

3. Bureaucracy is the number one reason I leave jobs. I have had managers that want things done 'their way'. If their way was a good way that I liked, no problem. But if their way sucked, and they were not amicable to changing it, I would generally get irritated. As a side note to this, I'm not saying that it's 'my way or the high way', but I like some dialog and input into how decisions are made.

So given this little information, in your personal opinion, what would be a good career fit for me in the technology sector?

Of course, if you require more info, feel free to ask.

Thank you, I really appreciate any and all advice

Junior Member Newbie
    hi, just sign up too..

patient dude.. y not request to your office president.

Junior Member New User
    Why not take some of your down time to work on your own business, there are plenty of place online to offer your web design services, or you could start your own website aimed at selling amazon affiliate products, adsense ads etc.

graysheep - It sounds like you need a chance of workplace, not a change of profession. I'm sure there are plenty of developers who have full plates of work that challenge them plenty.

If you don't have much professional experience, you may not have the standing to pick your workplace as much as you'd like. Pick up enough experience and skills so that your next workplace is really to your taste. Web development is very much a field of coming up with solutions for problems, so you are in the right field for yourself.

Good luck!

Junior Member Junior Member
    Delta steel estate in Delta state,Nigeria

Consider this

I agree with scoyne88 on doing independent job online, because from what you said about yourself it seem to me you are an adventurous person who want new things to spurn your creativity. My advice is that you can take on the online job suggested and any freelance job you can get as contract but please don't quit your present job at lest till you are able to set up either a better competitive job or your own business. I hope this will help

Junior Member Junior Member
    Delta steel estate in Delta state,Nigeria
    I agree with scoyne88 on doing independent job online, because from what you said about yourself it seem to me you are an adventurous person who want new things to spurn your creativity. My advice is that you can take on the online job suggested and any freelance job you can get as contract but please don't quit your present job at lest till you are able to set up either a better competitive job or your own business. I hope this will help

Junior Member New User
    Get involved in open source development. Its the best way to keep the gray cells charged.
    CTO - JobRap
    Website - http://www.jobrap.com
    Blog - http://cubiclewoe.blogspot.com

8. This ad will disappear if you login