+ Reply to Thread

What do I need to say in employment application form

I am in the middle of applying a job and an in-house HR recruiter asks me to fill out the employment application form which has item like how much salary desire.
    Actually one of main reason to move to other company is money, so I don't want to move if the salary increase is not big. I've searched some internet salary survey sites and I think I know average salary of my position, but I would like to get more salary.
    My question is what if I write the desire salary far more than industry average, for example, if average is $95,000, then if I say I want "$120,000"? Do they turn down my application because I expect too much? or they offer whatever they want to give, regardless of my desire salary? or, do I need to be more reasonable like "$105,000"?

1. just blank
    2. Nengotiable
    3. Competitive
    4. I'll accetp any reasonable offer
    5. $95,000
    6. $100k
    7. $105k
    8. $110k
    9. $115k
    10. $120k
    11. Or else?

Thanks

Administrator Expert
    Hi ITguru1234567,

If you have to ask if you're in a position to ask for a large salary, you're not in a position to ask for a large salary.

Employers have access to the same salary information websites that you do, so they also know what the ballpark figures should be. Unless you are an all-star candidate that employers are actively recruiting, you should not ask for a figure significantly above the market average. That will just make it easier for the employer to eliminate your application when no doubt there are other competing ones.

There is one exception - if you know that the employer in general pays all its employees far above the market average. In that case, it would be OK to fit within that scheme. But that's a rare case. If you aren't an all-star employee or aren't applying to an especially generous employer, then sticking around the market average is your best bet. It's fine to ask a little higher and negotiate down, but don't price yourself out of a job.

Good luck!

Junior Member New User
    I would suggest "negotiable" even if you know the worth of the position, and the minimum pay you will accept, there is no reason to let this information out prior to an interview. Even when it does come time to talk salary, remember there are other perks (signing bonus, moving costs, company car, fuel stipend) that may or may not come with the job, don't box yourself out of these perks by setting the bar too low. I read an article a few months ago that if employees were asked what level of pay they would like, and they answered humorously " a million dollars" they actually received higher pay then those that asked a lower amount. Do your research on the company and see what the prior position was payed, and what perks they received before writing down any numbers.

Scoyne, you are right, but negotiable does't give an exact figure to think about what we expect.

If they're asking your desired salary, write down a range. Make sure the lower end is not too low for you to accept and make sure the high end is not too outrageous. It shows you're willing to negotiate while at the same time accepting your own needs.

Resident Expert
    Hi ITGuru,

What is your current salary? I put a post about this the other day, which is also on my blog:

http://andrewlad.com/2012/05/16/what...you-expecting/

I agree with Peanutbutter about putting down a range. If you're on $80,000 now, it's pretty unlikely they will offer you $120,000. 50% increases are pretty much unheard of nowadays, apart from in very extreme circumstances. Sure, if they are actively chasing you, you might be able to ask for more than the standard 10-20% increase, but if you applied for the job and there are other candidates who you aren't necessarily far ahead of (in terms of desirability factor), I doubt you will get a huge raise. If they think you're just going to move for the money, they might feel they are offering you the job for the wrong reasons also.

In answer to your question 'Do they offer what they want to give regardless of the salary the candidate quotes?', in my experience they generally DO take into account what the candidate states. If their top end budget for the role is $100,000 and you quote $120,000, they probably won't bother offering you the job if they think it is likely you will decline the offer. They may stretch up to $105,000-110,000 but budgets are pretty tight, especially in the US (I presume you are in the US?) with the way the economy is going.

Maybe state you are looking for a 20-30% raise, but only if you can back this up with solid, concrete reasons why you feel you are worth the raise. Don't just quote a naked figure without giving justification.

Good luck, and please advise on your current salary so we all have a better idea of what may be realistic.

Andrew @ AndrewLad.com

7. This ad will disappear if you login