+ Reply to Thread

Will I have a career or am I stuck?

I'm really looking for good advice, ideas, really any words of wisdom.

So here we go, I have a full time and a part time job right now. I work some weekends + Monday thru Friday from 5:30-8:30am at a job that I love (it's on the path to a dream job, but an opening to a dream job would still be years away if EVER available). Then I run to my full time job from 9:00 - 5:30pm. It's mundane, no room to move up, and a little degrading, but pays the bills.

I'm torn as to what to do. I've been working this schedule for a year now and neither job situation seems to be going anywhere. I took the mundane full-time position because I was out of work, and they promised to promote me within 6 months. Now it's been a year and a half. Plus, I believe since they know about my part-time job morning job, they don't want to invest any time in me for a promotion. Understandable if they feel I will jump ship as soon as an opportunity came up at the other job. And they are correct in thinking that, I would.

Since I've been doing both jobs, all my relationships are failing. I do not see any friends anymore, and my boyfriend has moved in with me so we at least get an hour or two together. I'm constantly exhausted, sick, and I dropped 20 pounds within 2 months of the schedule. I was having dizzy spells and my doctor let me know that the weight loss is causing low blood pressure and that working this much is shaving years off my life. And at the end of the day, I still question why I'm working so hard to be so poor.

Obviously, I need to change something. First, I don't know when its time to give up your dreams. I will be 27 soon and want to start a family in the next few years. Do I give up the job that's a tiny step in the right direction?

I've also thought about having 2 part time jobs rather than a part time and a full time. However, in this economy, and with my recent medical issues, it's terrifying to think about leaving a full time job with benefits. I would never feel stable (that's a big deal to me).

Do I get a different full time job where I don't feel everyone views me as an idiot and passes their work off to me? Could it be satisfying to the point where all the health issues won't matter? Or will I end up still unhappy because of the work schedule?

I'm SO conflicted about it. Since September I've been agonizing over what to do. And since September, it's the same questions over and over and over in my mind.

If you have any ideas, job suggestions, part time job suggestions, solutions, or guidance please let me know!

Stuck2Places - You're right in that you need change.

You're working too much, and you're also working low-quality work.

Note that everything is in your control. If your bills are high, you can move to a situation/location where your bills are lower. Eliminate all unnecessary expenses. No one is making you start a family, which will multiply your expenses considerably. Don't back yourself into a corner with your life decisions.

Look for a different full-time position, one that involves fewer hours but still has benefits. If you have thought this much about it, you should do it. I don't know where you're located, but if you're in a big city, you should have options available to you.

Don't take this lying down. Start looking for a new job - and keep at your dream job. It is never too late to pursue dreams. You will be much, much unhappier if you fall off the path of pursuing your dreams.

Good luck!

Junior Member New User
    I agree, start looking for a new job, it seems both jobs you have are not going where you would like. When looking for a job I would first focus on your dream job, but you might have to settle for one that pays the bills. You can use your current work history to get a better job then you have now.

You never stated what your dream job was related to, but it might just have to be a hobby. You may be able to make a better income at a less desirable job, and then use that money and your free time to do what you really enjoy.

Junior Member Newbie
    Figure out what you like to do best, then figure out what jobs there are that would match your choice(s) so that you can get paid for doing what you enjoy

I would look for a different fulltime job that has less stress and more fulfillment. See if you can make another step towards that dream job, but whatever you do, make sure you get a job that pays better (so you're not stuck making ends meet with two jobs and no free time) and is enjoyable.

I think you can always change your career, you're only stuck in a field if you have a certain attitude about it. I have an example for you - I had a friend that was enrolled in a public health masters program, (here's a link for reference). He had originally joined it in order to become a social worker, but he found that jobs were very hard to find in this industry (makes sense with this economy). Though he thought that his degree would restrict him to a specific field, he just did some creative thinking in order to apply his skills in a different field. He now works in a nonprofit and is pretty satisfied with his life.

7. This ad will disappear if you login