What I am about to ask is probably something many of you have gone through, it seems simple, but it is actually giving me BIG headaches. Here is the story in a few steps:
1. I am currently working on a business plan for my own small business and will be quitting my job in about 4 months.
2. Nobody knows about in my company.
3. I've been having thoughts of opening about the business to my direct supervisor because I may want to invite him to take part in it.
4. I have a great relationship with my bosses and need to leave the company in very good terms, also because they may even become my potential clients down the road.
5. I was just told by my supervisor that the company plans to send me on a trip to a great trade show in Europe next month.
6. Not only I would LOVE to go, this experience would be FANTASTIC for my new business too.
So, what should I do?
1. Say YES and let the employer invest all this money in me and tell them I'm leaving 2 months after? (my business idea is quite big and they will surely know that I've been planing this for many months on the day I tell them I'm leaving)
2. Say NO and come up with a fake excuse so they don't get upset and I leave in good terms?
3. Take the risk and talk to my supervisor in private, tell him about my plans, ask about his interest in my business idea and maybe he would himself advise me to take the offer for the trip?