+ Reply to Thread

Looking for a teaching job; please help

Hi,

I have a bachelor's in Secondary Education / English, but I have not been able to find a teaching position. Granted, I have only looked in this one city, but I really do not know how to go about relocating; most of my connections are here, and, although it's not much, I do have a part time job as a substitute teacher, not to mention a place to rent; if I relocate, I might not have any of these things. What would you suggest? Why do you think I haven't found a job in my state? My resume looks great, and I've gotten plenty of interviews; I just don't have a full-time job. What would you suggest?

Hi kmb,

Your current lack of a teaching position could be due to any number of things. For example, your city could be small and thus not have many opportunities.

Or, if you've gotten plenty of interviews but no offers, maybe you need to improve your interviewing skills. Think back on the interviews you've done, and see if there was any room for improvement on your part.

It sounds like you might be willing to relocate if you thought that was worth it. The availability of jobs and places to rent would vary based on location, of course. If you are willing to relocate, have a good job offer in hand, and can afford to move, then relocation may be worth it - it's as simple as that.

Relocating for a teaching position is quite common, so don't be afraid of it. If the job (and pay!) is good, the rest will follow. Good luck!

Have you tried online teaching (tutoring)?

Hi there kmb,

You have two options:

1) Look out-of-state.
    2) Sit tight.

I don't know what state you're in, but here in Ontario (Canada) the job opportunities available for teachers are atrocious. Back in the early 2000's, guidance counselors, teachers, career advice enthusiasts, the government, and everyone in between were telling our young people that there would be a shortage of teachers in the next 3-5 years, so it was a great time to go to school to become a teacher. Of course, upon graduation, most of the teacher shortage was absorbed by retired teachers who continued to supply teach. I know of many individuals who did supply teaching for years until they finally acquired a permanent position. So you could sit tight. It may happen before you know it.

...but, if you don't want to have a nasty gap on your resume or a ton of unrelated experience, I'd recommend looking out of state.

Our government has implemented a law here just recently that limits the number of hours retired teachers can supply teach. So we will see if that helps our situation at all.

Best of luck,

Brent

Since you are getting a lot of interviews, I would check how well you are doing at interviews & try to be more prepared before each job interview.
    https://kmd-solutions.com Job Search, Career, Salary, Pay Rise Info, Resume Samples & Tips

6. This ad will disappear if you login