+ Reply to Thread

Advice on a rogue supervisor? Many legal questions..

I'm going to try keeping this short. I work for a small nonprofit with <30 employees. We recently got a new Executive Director due legal issues. Many things are changing, but most are for the good.

Recently however, a coworker was promoted to my supervisor. This is where issues started.

First, I don't understand her qualifications to be my supervisor. Is it legal to ask what they are? I say this because just six months ago when she was hired, I trained her. If she quit or was fired, I could manage the office solo. If I quit or got fired, she would have no idea how to do my job, because I haven't taught her. I also trained the woman she replaced.

I've tried to be diplomatic. She said nothing would change; we were a team, etc etc. Everything I do, I check with her and the ED. Lately I've been reformatting all internal forms and coming up with afew new systems for the office, and I make sure she okays everything.
    Now I understand that she's my supervisor, but she has started making various changes that directly effect my job and what I do, and have nothing to do with her work. I handle money, customers and employees. She does invoicing, tracking materials, things like that. I also handle all computer related work - making any forms, signs, spreadsheets, etc. I'm the office computer geek so it's all really easy for me.

The first thing she did as my new supervisor was buy an expensive, needless program to create.. forms. I really didn't approve of this, but couldn't do anything about it. I was surprised she did it without talking to me, and even more surprised that she installed the program on her daughters computer (her daughter does NOT work for the company, and it was bought with company funds) and I am most likely not getting a copy because it can only be installed on so many computers. So she's suddenly taken over making forms.

The next big thing she did was completely change the sign in system. My employee work includes doing payroll, so the sign in system was set up in a way that made it easiest. I went in after my weekend to find it completely changed. The forms she made are not usable, she has gotten everyone recording their hours wrong, I've gotten nothing but complaints about it and everyone is blaming me because they think I changed it.
    I sent her an email outlining the issues I had with it - which are not only my issues, but also an issues the accountant would have if she was given the chance to see it - and asking her if we could switch back to the old system until we get the kinks worked out. She didn't reply, and instead printed out the email and showed it to at least one coworker, complaining that I don't do my job and that I'm not nice for pointing out the flaws in her perfect system.

She's now left on vacation, leaving me with a flawed sign in system. I could email her, but that didn't go well last time. I almost want to talk to the ED about it but that seems whiny. But the more things she does, the more it feels like she's trying to find reasons to fire me, and ways to replace me. I'm not worried about my job - the ED begged me not to quit just a few weeks ago when things were bad and I was on the verge of leaving. She knows how much I do and I appreciate that. But this supervisor.. I have no idea what to make of it, or what to do. Do I feed in to her drama and email her again, or go over her head and talk to the ED?

This is my first job. I love what I do. But this woman is going to drive me insane.

Hey Rapture,

Great post. Very insightful.

May I ask who made the decision to promote this person? Was there a reason you were overlooked? Is it possible that you are too valuable in doing what you do, hence she was promoted instead?

If I were you, I'd recommend arranging a conversation (in total confidence, of course) with the person who made the decision to promote her. Outline your concerns. As Stephen Covey says, "Seek first to understand, then to be understood." (I may have misquoted that, but you get the idea...)

There must be a reason why this person was promoted. And there's nothing wrong with asking this person what his or her motivations were, or what qualifications your new supervisor has.

Hope that helps.

3. This ad will disappear if you login