+ Reply to Thread

Advice on career/major?

Hello, all. I will be attending a foreign university next year, but I haven't been able to make a decision.

I pick up languages quickly and am very interested in them. I have considered coming back to the states after college and being a foreign language teacher. However, I am very interested in quantum physics and have been for years. I was wondering if you thought it would be feasible to become a foreign language teacher (which has better job prospects) but to be a volunteer research assistant as well? Would no researcher take me because I hadn't majored in physics in college? Or would you recommend I only minor in foreign languages and try to make it in the world of quantum physics?

Hi cia.wears.hats,

You ask a number of questions, which demand a number of answers.

Is it feasible to become a foreign language teacher - Yes, especially if you have aptitude in languages, as you do. Training in education won't hurt, either. Facility in foreign languages always makes one more marketable in the job market.

Can you be a volunteer research assistant as well - It is unlikely that a serious researcher would take on an assistant with no training whatsoever. The answer may depend on the amount/quality of physics education you've received, including quantum physics training. Teaching/research assistant positions typically go to graduate students specializing in those fields.

Foreign languages vs. quantum physics - Only you can answer that question. You have to weigh factors such as startup costs (amount of time, energy, and cost it takes to make you employable) vs. return (projected income from those professions) as well as what you truly want to do, which is the most important factor of all.

Good luck!

Is there any possibility you could do a double major?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Jones View Post
    Is there any possibility you could do a double major?
    A double major? I hadn't thought about that! That's certainly an idea I like. Thank you for your suggestion, Brent!

Thank you for your advice, CleelB. I might pursue a double major, which would give me more time to enjoy both, as well as giving me more time to decide on one. I appreciate your input here! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by cia.wears.hats View Post
    A double major? I hadn't thought about that! That's certainly an idea I like. Thank you for your suggestion, Brent!
    Does that help?

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Jones View Post
    Does that help?
    Absolutely! I've looked into it and I think it'll be difficult but entirely possible, and definitely worth it. Such a simple solution, I can't believe I didn't think of it myself! Thank you so much!

A multilingual physicist! Now there's a ticket to a wide range of employment opportunities in the future. Glad I could help. Good luck!

9. This ad will disappear if you login