+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1

    How do I respectfully renege on a job offer

    Im in a rare situation. This may not be unusual for some of you.

    I received a offer for a job (Company A) in Northridge, California. Pretty good salary, great company. Was given an offer. I accepted the offer obviously because at that time I had no other options

    Before I new that I was getting an offer from company A I went on another interview with company B in Houston, Texas. I was presented with a job offer right after I accepted the offer with company A.

    I want to take the job in Texas for a number of reasons related to pay, title, company reputation but I dont know what to say to the company in california after I already accepted the job.

    How do I tell the company in california that I decided not to take the job after I said I would? I mean if they did that to me I would say all types of bad things about the company. I dont want to burn any bridges with them. Can I say this in a way without making myself look bad?

  2. #2
    robismyname - The best way you can renege on a job offer is, indeed, "respectfully". There's not much more you can do, if that is the path you choose. You may not want to tell Company A that Company B has a better reputation than it - that's a great way to burn a bridge - but things like pay and higher job title are understandable reasons to take another job offer.

    Be aware that if the two companies are in the same industry, do business with each other, etc., that reneging on a job offer may have potential repercussions in terms of professional reputation.

    Here is an article that goes into great detail about the pros and cons of reneging on a job offer. It's written about investment banking, but it could apply to any industry:

    http://www.mergersandinquisitions.co...ing-job-offer/

    Good luck!

  3. #3
    I like the article shared by CleeIB.

    You don't need to state a reason. You simply need to call Company A and say, "I appreciate the job offer. After due consideration, I feel that I made the wrong decision. I feel it would be in the best interests of your company if I declined the position. Thanks for your consideration." That's it.

  4. #4
    Junior Member New User
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Dubai, UAE and Texas
    Posts
    9
    Both replies are very helpful. I am assuming you didn't use a recruiter for the job, because they could/and would be the one to deliver the news to.

    If you are going to see the guys at Company A again in the future, conferences come to mind, you have to tell them very carefully. Clearly it is cheaper in Texas and thus the money in CA has to be significantly greater to be considered equal.

    My experience is that CA does not pay better than TX in many roles. This would be my angle. The only risk is if they counteroffer and then you have to say that your heart leans to Texas.

    A difficult thing to do no matter what, why or how, but you are making the best decision for you, which ultimately is also best for them.
    David Crays, CPA
    Writer for http://www.examiner.com/career-advice-in-national/david-crays
    Blogger at www.thecareerking.com



  5. This ad will disappear if you login

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts