Interview Tips for Engineers: Engineer Interview Questions
Engineer interview questions come in different types and have degrees of difficulty during the interview. We spend a lot of time preparing our resumes so that we receive an opportunity to enter the professional ranks and world. If we prepare for them after receiving a clear idea about what is expected of an engineer, then nothing in the interview should be a surprise. Here are a few tips to be able to get through the interview process:
- Prepare for the essay questions and not only for the multiple choice questions while both portions are time administered.
- Emotional stability is important; do not let small errors or mistakes trip you up half-way into the interview. Because remember the interviewer will judge you based on the answered questions and your demeanor and not judge you by the mistakes that you made.
- Be polite and graceful when you answer.
- Switch off your mobile phones or other distracting gadgets during the written exam or interview session.
- It is prudent to not ask too many of questions or describe your projects elaborately as you not only waste their time but also can disturb their interview schedule.
- Keep your answers precise and specific.
- Wear comfortable and formal wear that will not offend the interviewers, or be deemed unprofessional.
General Category of Questions
- Which was the most challenging engineering project assigned to you?
- What was your most significant engineering contribution to the last engineering position you held?
- What are the new engineering skills you have acquired in the recent past?
- What is the overall objective in your career?
- Please provide an instance where you used your engineering knowledge to solve a problem
Questions for Mechanical Engineers
- Can you define the calculation methods here?
- What are the different types of a turbine?
- Please list the types of bearings used in conveyor pulleys.
- Can you distinguish the concept between isometric and trimetric views?
Questions for Civil Engineers
- What is the difference between opc cement and ferro cement?
- Please tell us the code and calculation for de-shuttering the fat slabs.
- What is the weight of a 8mm diameter steel with 1 meter length? Is there a formula for its calculation?
Questions for Electrical Engineers
- What will be the voltage level between two capacitors?
- Please design a simple circuit using combinational logic in order to double the output frequency.
- Can you inform us on the types of flip-flops you know?
- How will you convert D-latch into JK-latch and JK-latch into D-latch?
Questions for Electronics Engineers
- Please tell us how analog electronics differ from digital electronics.
- Please design a combinational circuit that can divide the clock frequency by 2.
- What is the difference between the timing reports of a propagated and an ideal clock?
- Why should we specify input and output delays while designing with a synopsis design compiler?