Job Interview General Tips
Some General Job Interview Tips
- Do not smoke, chew gum, or eat garlic beforehand.
- Wear suitable interview clothes.
- Take copies of your CV with you.
- Arrive on time for your job interview.
- Any applications handed before the interview begins, are to be filled in as accurately as possible, make sure they match the information in your Cv and Cover Letter.
- Always greet the interviewer by his/her last name and try to pronounce it correctly.
- Have a good firm handshake.
- Look alert and interested. Scan the room once and then keep your eyes on the interviewer.
- Wait until you are offered a chair before you sit down.
- Stress your achievements.
- Always conduct yourself professionally and if something beyond your control occurs, show a sense of humor.
- Be enthusiastic and show it in your replies and body language.
- Answer the interview question by more than a simple yes or no but try not to go over the 60 second limit.
- Avoid at all cost complaining about your current or former employer in your job interview.
- Do not answer questions about politics or religion if the job is completely unrelated.
- Do not raise salary discussions on your first interview - this is usually done on the second interview. Make sure you do your wage research before hand.
Your answer to the initial opening statements in the job interview are important, these are called "ice breakers".
Some times the interviewer will ask whether you had difficulty finding the company premises. Your answer should be brief and polite. The interviewer is merely being polite - if you had problems in finding the premises he/she doesn't need to know that.
Use replies such as:
- I'm fine thank you, and you?
- I'm very well, thank you.
These replies express a careless attitude:
- So, so
- Not so well
There are various kinds of interviews:
- One to One Job Interview
- Panel Job Interview
- Group Job Interview
- Phone Job Interview
- Lunch Job interview
Each job interview has it's own strategies and particular points one should be aware of.
- Example Questions
- Career Fair Interviews
- 3rd Party Recruiter Interviews
- Informational Interviews
- Post Interview