What to wear for a job interview
More than fifty percent of another person's perception of you is based on how you look and therefore your appearance is crucial to making a good impression. Pay particular attention to your shoes. Managers, especially those who have been in the military, can determine a lot by looking at your shoes.
What to wear for a job interview has to be researched by doing a good job interview preparation. These tips can guide you but are not applicable in all situations.
General tips on what to wear for a job interview for both man and women:
- Be conservative. Conservative is best for the interview regardless of the dress code at the organization.
- If you're unsure, call them and ask! Do not ask the HR manager. Asking the receptionist or an HR assistant is easier. If you are still unsure, go for a conservative look.
- Well-groomed hair style.
- Clean, trimmed finger nails.
- Minimal cologne or perfume.
- No visible body piercing.
- No gum, candy or cigarettes.
- Wear one ring and limited jewellery.
What men should wear for a job interview:
- Conservative suit - two piece suit & tie, conservative & solid color.
- Long sleeve shirt.
- Avoid bow ties. Wear a conservative tie.
- Dark shoes & dark socks.
- Avoid beards & mustaches. (if you cannot help the moustache, make sure it is well trimmed).
- Get a hair cut. A short and conservative style is best.
- Do not wear any earrings.
What women should wear for a job interview:
- Avoid dresses.
- Shoes should have conservative heels.
- Use a briefcase rather than a purse.
- Conservative nail polish.
- Minimal use of make up.
- Limit jewellery to one wedding ring and one set of earrings.