Work Permits for France and Germany

Because of labor and immigration issues and national employment policies,France and Germany have pretty restrictive work permit regulations for immigrants.

The basics of applying for work permits are explained on these links.

The story is that both nations have a lot of discretionary power regarding regulation of employment of foreigners and immigrants.

It is suggested that anyone intending to apply first contact the French or German embassies, and clarify any questions relating to their circumstances.

Make sure your documentation is correctly completed.

If uncertain, make sure that you ask before lodging any application.

Generally speaking, both countries provide some pro forma applications, but documents you provide, like your education qualifications, and other relevant information, must be correct.

Bear in mind that any delay could take extra weeks or months, if your application is deficient.

If you have a French or German employer:

You also need to be clear with them regarding any information, fees, relocation expenses, timeframes, which they have to provide, and coordinate your application with them. In some cases they need to register with a government agency, as part of the legal process.

Both countries issue visas as part of the work permit process.

The visa is not a work permit.

The rest of the application process must be completed before you have the legal right to work in either country.

Schengen Visas

The Schengen visa is available to citizens of Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain, and Sweden.

The visa permits holders to work in signatory countries for a total of 90 days in any of the Schengen Agreement countries. in a six month period.

Note: that's a cumulative 90 days, whichever countries you're in.

If you spend 40 of your days in one Schengen country, you only have 50 left in the six month period in the others.

The Schengen visa is however a good and useful thing for business travelers, or workers in New Economy jobs who may need to move from site to site.

It's also quite a bit less demanding than the formal work permit process for permanent residents in France and Germany.