How To Write An International Curriculum Vitae
Are you planning to apply for a job overseas? This is a wonderful decision. However, do you know how to apply for job abroad? How do you write an international Curriculum Vitae? Let us see how to find out about this.
There are many peculiarities and differences across the word. For example, in Asia you would be required to give a lot of private information that in USA might not be applicable/required. Things like date of birth, photograph, and marital status are a must-have in the Curriculum Vitae in any Asian country. In addition, the cover letter is not required in Asia, while in USA and Europe is a sign of being thorough and a stickler to details.
In some countries in Europe, a Curriculum Vitae without a cover letter would be rejected outright. In other countries, such as Spain you would be required to forward your Curriculum Vitae with a handwritten note.
In United Arab Emirates, your application would not be received or considered unless it came through the recommendation of someone known and has well-known references. This is why when people apply for jobs in UAE they do it only through specified placement agencies or through the recommendations of their country people in that country.
- Placement agency - Usually, when you plan to work overseas, you would go through an international placement agency. These placement agencies could and would help you write the correct format for the Curriculum Vitae. Most often, when the placement agencies make you an offer, they would also give you the most critical tips for applying in the country and to the company. It would be good if you let them help you with the drafting of the Curriculum Vitae, lest you would commit any mistakes that would cost you your job.
- Check the Internet and learn - each continent usually has its own ground rules regarding what should go and what should not go into a Curriculum Vitae. You would do good to check on the Internet regarding the requirements of each region. There is enough information on the Net to guide you regarding procedures and format for any country in the world.
- Check with the company - One of the best ways would be to contact someone from the company itself and ask the reception or the HR office through a request email, the format which you could use to apply. Your effort would be highly appreciated.
- Contact that country's embassy - The best advice regarding the Curriculum Vitae format pertaining in a country would come from a person who hails from that country. Try to get in touch with the Embassy of that particular country and learn about what is the best way to write an application. If possible, you could ask them to send you a typical job application (in English) so you could adapt your information into the given format.
- Professional Curriculum Vitae writers/ websites - The Internet is full of professional Curriculum Vitae writers who would be glad to write your Curriculum Vitae for you in return for a small fee. It would be very good to use these types of services unless you are sure about the method from other sources.
Writing an international Curriculum Vitae is a great challenge; however, there is a silver lining to it - when you can get the right format with some research, and when you do the overseas employer would be highly impressed about your effort to do it right - which would often win you at least an interview call.